Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old May 19, 2004, 11:24 PM   #1

Hi,

I ´d like to know themeaning of those number on a Wide Angle lens. As the smaller is the 0.x number, more "powerful" is the lens? So, is a 0.38X wide angle lensbetter than a 0.45X

I have a Canon A70, and i´m going to buy some wide angle lens. My purpose is go to a "powerful" one.

Thanks.

Ghiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2004, 2:49 AM   #2

I don't know if powerful is the right word. The numbers are a multiplication factor by which your wide angle focal lengthis reduced.

In 35 MM equivalent your camera has a 35 MM to 105 MM zoom lens. Canon sellsa wide angle conversion lens (the WC-DC52) for the A70that is .7x which would convert your wide angle setting to 24.5 MM (35 x .7 = 24.5). That's a very wide angle lens. The .45x and .38x lenses you mentioned would give you 15.75 and 13.3 MM respectively. That's extremely wide! I would think they would give rather distorted views and perhaps a round image like a fish eye lens. The lenses I've seen advertised as .45x and .38x are inexpensive and of questionable quality. I would not buy one of them unless I was able to see and try them first. I'd get the Canon lens.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has tried one of those .45x or .38xconversionlenses. What say out there in forum land?
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2004, 7:17 AM   #3

ThanksPuck. I think that i´ll go to Canon Wide Angle lens. But, do you think that 0.7X is a very wide angle? I intent to taking landscapes and portraits photos.

Thanks, again.

Ghiggi
Ghiggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 6:17 PM   #4

If ypu can get it an important feature with a wide angle lens is if it can be used with a zoom. For example, the there are two W/A lenses for the Sony 717 one will not zoom and the other much more expensive lens will zoom. It is a very good lens for landscapes. as it will frame many of your shots.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2004, 4:49 PM   #5

Ghiggi,

One thing I would consider is using software to stitch together a panorama. That way, instead of getting, for instance, one 4 MP image you can get a n x 4 MP image depending on the number of shots stitched together (I know this isn't really correct but it makes my point). If you have manual controls and a tripod, landscape panoramas are a breeze.

Just something to consider.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote