Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old May 21, 2004, 12:44 AM   #1

Hi all, I wanted to know what you guys thought about the Opteka and the Kenko lens that are on ebay for sale. I bought a Olympus C-4000 and I wanted a higher powerd Tele lens and these looked like cheap alternatives. Any help before I make a mistake and buy these would be much appreisiated.

Thanks.
Texas Tam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2004, 8:44 AM   #2

You'll have to dig a bit (i.e., search) here at Steve's to find info on the Opteka brand of lenses. Generally, the words are "stay away." Here's a link to a short chain of messages on this very topic...

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=15863&forum_id=50

There are a number of good lens manufacturers out there. Olympus makesvery good add-on lenses. Raynox does also and has a wider variety of lenses. Check some of the reputable on-line dealers (B&H, Adorama, B-300.com, etc) for different brands of lenses and then take a look at E-bay to see what's available.

Hope this helps. Good luck shopping!

Paul in NoVA

C-730 B-300 WCON-07

plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2004, 11:27 PM   #3

Thanks Paul.

I took your advice and read a bit more on some of the other lensI had seen. I got the Tcon-17, It was at a good price on the www.b-300.com site. Thanks for your response.

Tom
Old May 24, 2004, 5:41 AM   #4

Tom -

I think you'll be very pleased with the TCON-17. It's an excellent performer. B-300 is also a very reputable dealer. I bought both of my lenses from that site and was completely satisfied with the service.

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 1:22 PM   #5

I got an Opteka .5x wide angle adapter for my Nikon coolpix 5700. It has "ultra high definition, fully coated optical glass lens" and is advertised as better than some other low end lenses. The Nikon version cost a good bit more but is only a .8x factor (big deal!!) The Opteka works OK but as I expected, it is not that sharp at the edges. Also there is obvious vignetting at the widest range, so you have to zoom out a bit to avoid the "fisheye" round tunnel look. I just got the coolfix adapter and haven't yet tried it on this lens, but it's design should reduce vignetting. I am no expert, but I'd say that if the image has great impact and really works, then maybe a little imperfection can be ok. On a professional level, if you earn your living with your camera, then it's better to buy the very best reguardless of cost, for most of us though, the cost of all the toys we want is not practical.

I just ordered the new Raynox 2020pro 2.2x adapter and will post some results as soon as I can. It isn't cheap at $190+ adapters and shipping, but we'll see. Jock
jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 4:20 PM   #6

I'm not a pro and I dont want to spend too much money at the moment until i learn a bit more on photography. The opteka equipment is a good price on ebay, Has anybody used the filters made by opteka ? I see a set of 3 on ebay for $24.95. Do the filters need to be high quality to produce good results or would the opteka one be good for an amature like myself ?

Tom
Old May 27, 2004, 5:31 PM   #7

That's a good question. I'm really in doubt if I should or shouldn't buy Opteka products.
I'm interested in a Telephoto and Wide angle converters... both are very cheaper if you compare with Sony lens, but I'm really in doubt if they really work.

viniciusmvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 8:12 AM   #8

In my humble opinion, if you buy a brand name camera with a quality glass lens and then put a marginal quality filter or add on lens in front - yougreatly reduce the overall quality of the photo.Example - put a piece of plasticwrap over a window and take a look through.With filters and lenses obviously the result is not nearly thatdramatic but it makes my point.(NOTE: Quality is in the eye of the beholder. What one photographer thinks is great another may think is less than satisfactory.)

I'm no different than most hobbyist in that money is always an issue. I won't buy the cheapest and most of the timeI can't buy the best, so I will, 1. buysomething in the middle that has positive user reviews, provides better than averageresults for the money,has a good reputation and suits my needsor, 2. save my bucks until I can afford what I would really like to get. That hardly ever happens in my case. By searching photo forums you can usually get a pretty good feel for what other buyers have to say about a given product or what their personal recommendations are.I base most of my camera buying decisions on that approach. :roll:
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2004, 4:58 PM   #9

I just stumbled across this site chuck full of 'user opinions' on various aftermarket lenses.Might help with the decision making process. :arrow:

http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers/DCExperiments/html/d7_add_on_lenses.html

LT

Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 12:23 PM   #10

Good stuff Sting !! That was a good find.

Thanks,

Tom