Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jun 10, 2004, 10:59 PM   #1

First I want to say thank you all for helping make some relatively informed decisions on my new camera purchase. Just reading these forums helped greatly. Not to mention Steve and his great reviews.

I finally ended up with a Z2, I liked the colors it produced (very subjective in my opinion), the large zoom, they way it felt, and low price.

Being that I'm a novice at digital photography and on a budget, I was looking at some lenses and filters on Ebay. You can get a 2x tele (in a box shown marked as 'digital optics'), a .5 w/a (same type box), 3 piece filter kit, and some other crap for like $100. Are these things that cheap or is the product just sub par and not worth money?

If they are just crap, can you recommend a brand?

Thanks again,

mike

mabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2004, 10:14 AM   #2

Hey Mike - congrats on your purchase of the Z2. The answer to your question is 'Yes, they can be that cheap', but when it comes to quality glass you usually get what you pay for. I posted the following several weeks ago in response to a question re: inexpensive filters -

"if you buy a brand name camera with a quality glass lens and then put a marginal quality filter or add on lens in front - yougreatly reduce the overall quality of the photo.Example - put a piece of plasticwrap over a window and take a look through.With filters and lenses obviously the result is not nearly thatdramatic but it makes my point. (NOTE: Quality is in the eye of the beholder. What one photographer thinks is great another may think is less than satisfactory.)

The URL below is a 'user posting' site and will give you some idea of what other buyers think about the lens they have purchased.

http://webpages.charter.net/bbiggers...on_lenses.html

Alsopost your question on the Minolta forum, your bound to get some good suggestions. Keep in mind that a lens that gives acceptable results on one camera may cause severe vignetting on another. You have to have a successful camera/lens match.One more suggestion, unless you are sure thatyou are buying the rightlens make sure you can return it with out a hassel if the results aren't satisfactory.

Larry
Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 1:12 PM   #3

mabu wrote:
Quote:
Being that I'm a novice at digital photography and on a budget, I was looking at some lenses and filters on Ebay.* You can get a* 2x tele (in a box shown marked as 'digital optics'), a .5 w/a (same type box), 3 piece filter kit, and some other crap for like $100.* Are these things that cheap or is the product just sub par and not worth money?*

If they are just crap,* can you recommend a brand?
Garbage!!! Avoid them!!!

If you want a good brand, check out the Raynox. http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/egindex.htm Their .66x (DCR-6600Pro) is one of the highest rated due to the lack of barrel distortion (even my Canon .7x has that problem). And they just came out with a 2.2x.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 2:34 PM   #4

Thanks Larry and Mike, I had a feeling that was too good to be true.

Sorry I missed you earlier post Larry, I did try and run through to see if this had been covered previously, but I couldn't find it.

Great link too.

I post a few when I get up and running.

Any other advise is welcome and appreciated.

mike

mabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 4:26 PM   #5

Mike,

I have a Minolta A1.The zoom on my camera is only x7 not x10 like yours.I have posted some pictures i've takenwiht the new Raynox DCR-2020 Pro teleconverter here:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/eugenluca/raynox/raynox.htm

In my case the vignetting ( dark corners) is unacceptable and i think i'll take the lens back.I say i think because i still have an old Mavica FD97 ( 2 megapixel) which takes really good pictures with this lens.I don't believe is the lens that causes the problem,i think is the camera.Raynox states that this lens is made for high zoom cameras ( like yours).I've e-mailled Raynox and i'm waiting for an answer from them.I'll post it here when it comes.You might want to give it a try and maybe let us know if you get better results than me :-)

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote