Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Sep 17, 2002, 4:55 PM   #1

Default Scope connecters for a Olympus C-2100?

Hey all,

This is my first post, and I tried some searches without any luck, so here goes.

I have a Olympus C- 2100, and want to add a spotter scope to do a little better job at nature photography. I particularly would like to connect a Meade C-90, but can't seem to find out what adaptor would fit their lens.

Anyone out there with knowledge of adaptors for my Olympus, and scopes they fit??

Thanks,

Tim
Tim-in-Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2002, 5:00 PM   #2

Hi Tim,
Right now there isn't a really "good" solution for connecting the C2100UZ to a scope. Scoptronics makes a fairly large eyepiece which "can" be used, but it's too strong and you will not get satisfactory results.

Because of the long zoom on the C2100UZ, it's not easy to use it for digiscoping. There "may" be a solution coming from Eagle Eye that will work, but it's not yet ready. They are making a low power, large ocular eyepiece which may work - it remains to be seen. I should be testing it shortly before it's ready for market and I'll test it with a variety of digicams including the C2100UZ. I will report the results as soon as I have them.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2002, 8:51 PM   #3

Thanks Lin,

I just bought a C-180 from a friend on the net. It should arrive tomorrow. I know it will help, but I really want a long range lens to allow nature to take its course without getting in the way. I guess I should start saving for a Nikon D100
Not sure Santa will come through though, especiaaly since that would only be the start.

I have had many hobbies, and photography was put on the back burner for about 20 years. Now that I'm back into it, and having sold all my old equipment years ago, My lovely wife just shakes her head and sighs when I buy new equipment. She is impressed with my photos though, so there is always a chance to upgrade.

Thanks again,

Tim
Tim-in-Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2002, 4:08 AM   #4

Hi Tim,
A D100 would sure be a nice camera for you, but if you are serious about long range telephoto, the best solution would be a Nikon CP4500.

The CP4500 can be used with a number of spotting scopes to get you out to 6000mm focal length with excellent results. I use mine with both a Swarovski ST80-HD and a Meade ETX-90. Of course the ETX-90 is a much less expensive solution - you can pick one up for around $200 or less. The CP4500, CP950, CP990, or CP995 Nikons all work very well with spotting scopes.

Here's a Starling I shot recently with my CP990 at Meade using a 24mm William Optics eyepiece which screws directly to the filter threads on the Nikons.

One note of caution - any long range telephoto will work MUCH better on small subjects at reasonably close range than on distant subjects. The reason is that as the power factor increases, you will have logrithmic increases in atmospheric interference from heat, light, etc. So getting good results is much easier when shooting wildlife or birds from a fairly close (a couple hundred feet or less) range than trying to get a good image from a half mile. This goes for ANY camera and lens combination - not just a camera using a telescope for a lens. I can get much better results with my CP4500 or CP950 or 990 and my scopes than I can with my professional (EOS-1D, D30, DCS-760) cameras and expensive lenses for small subjects at reasonably close range.

Lin

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote