Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jul 11, 2004, 5:57 PM   #1

I am seriously considering buying an Olympus 8080 digital camera, so naturally I was looking at the prices of accessories. The camera bug is new for me, and I have lots to learn. So, thank you, in advance for your information!

The review says the 1.4x telephoto lensincreases the focal lengthby a factor of 1.4-- a "35mm conversion of 196mm". On web pages that sell the Olympus accessories, they are selling, not the 1.4x telephoto lens, but a2xtelephoto lens that doubles the value of the focal length up to 58mm. Why does the1.4x telephoto lens seem to be more powerful than the 2x telephoto lens? Or are they saying different things?

And what's the difference between the regular2X telephoto lens and the High Definition Pro 2X for double the price. If I go with the 2x, do I want to spend the extra money for the High Definition (and it's Sakar)

Thanks again!
CameraNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:19 PM   #2

The X factor is the X factor...I don't know exactly what that other website said since you didn't post a link to is, but if a lens says it's a 2x, you multiply the range of the camera by 2x.

Note that some cheaper 2x lenses aren't 2x, they're actually 1.8 or 1.7.

Another problem is the 8080's larger diameter lens...you may have trouble finding accessories that will fit on it without causing vignetting in the picture. There are many types of tcon-14 lenses, each designated by a letter after...your camera needs a tcon-14D, so if you find a cheap tcon-14c or tcon-14b don't get it instead. Also, you'll need a CLA-8 tube.

For Olympus specific questions suggest you hit the Olympus forum here. There are also 8080 specific forums on the web like in Yahoo Groups (there's a 405080 group which covers the 4040, 5050, and 8080).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 11:14 PM   #3

Thanks.

The web sites were www.buydig.com and www2.butterflyphoto.com. There were other web sites (all gotten from Steve's links to companies that sell the C-8080) that included the 2x telephoto lens as an accessory for the C-8080.

I was also concerned because, as you mentioned, the C-8080 needs the adapter tube, and none of these sites mentioned that the telephoto lens had the adapter tube included with it.

It is good to know, but disconcerting, that a telephoto lens can be listed as a 2x, but in reality is not.

CameraNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 5:50 PM   #4

I have the 8080 and am doing pretty well with it. Full resolution produces 45 x38" photos so you will need to resize them. I shoot in a little lower resolution than now. Check out the Alaska photo I shot a couple of weeks ago. I met a guy that has the Canon Rebel, SLR and for the same money with buydig.com I kind of wish I had bought it instead of the 8080. I think it produces better pics. I have the 8080 and cedrtainly can't dump it now. It is good but 8 megapixel is too big. However in lower resolution like HQ or SQ1 you will get good quality photos and the camera has a lot of great features that are easy to use. The CD has a manuel that is very good. The book stinks as is typical. Macros come out great in the high resolution of SQ2.
Attached Images

jtanen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 5:54 PM   #5

Here is a macro. Bye the way, I bought my 8080 from Buydig.com and the service was excellent. Get the extra battery.
Attached Images

jtanen2 is offline   Reply With Quote