Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jul 19, 2004, 9:56 AM   #1

Hello,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"soon i will be purchasing a new digital camera and would like to ask you nice people what your opinion would be.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I am selling my DSC F707 and am either going to purchase the DSC F828 or the SLR Rebel.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The F707 took amazing pictures but i never could get a real "close" shot of my subject. Sporting events,,,,everything seemed to far away also it took a whhile for a TIFF to save.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I really liked the quality of the picture and would like to stay with sony, however i am wondering if the lenses on the sony 828 can be changed or added too for close ups and wide angels.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Also, if anyone knows of a good enough reason for me to go with the Canon, please let me know.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thanks in adavance

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Dave

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

dsulvett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2004, 12:49 PM   #2

The 828 lens is not removable (none of the cameras in this class are) but you can ADD a converter lens to it via an adapter ring. Here's a link to the Raynox 828 page which shows various Raynox lenses on the 828, and you can click on the lenses for sample photos:
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/f828/index.htm

FWIW, you can also do the same to the 707:
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/egsonyf707.htm

BTW, you can also get lenses from Sony, but I'm not familiar with them.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2005, 9:17 PM   #3

:!:

I purchased the Raynox's DCR-2020PRO 2.2XHigh Definition Telephoto Conversion Len and I very unhappy with it. The reason:
1) Zoomed in, at 38mm, a small hole shows up as the image. So small, the extra lens is useless.

2) Zoomed out, at 200mm, there are dark corners which is what Raynox's website says. I do not have a problemwith dark corners, but read on....

3) I was lead to believe that when I'm zoomed in, I would see the dark corners, which happens with my Sony DSC-S70 with a 2.0x Telephoto lens and when I'm zoomed out there are no dark corners. So in order to get a full picture you have to be zoomed out all the way with the Raynox lens.

4) On a tripod, zoomed out, the image is not completely clear, and I think it is because the auto-focus is hitting the DCR-2020Pro's lens and case at the same time. And yes I did check to make sure Auto-Focus and Macro were not turned on.

I'm going talk with Sony to see why their Black 58mm 1.7X Telephoto Conversion Lens VCL-DEH17VA for their DSC-F717 is not suggested for the DSC-828.

Cougars21_1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 1:25 AM   #4

That's probably why Raynox doesn't list DSC-S70 among the compatible cameras.

Excuse me, but what's up with the text color here? Why can't I make the text readable?

meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2005, 9:07 AM   #5

Meno, Sorry for the text, for some reason white was not showing up. BTW I'm not using the DCR-2020Pro on my old Sony DSC-S70, I had a different brand called someing like Tamdan I think. I've only used my Sony DSC-F828 with the DCR-2020Pro.
Cougars21_1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2005, 1:32 PM   #6

Sorry, I misunderstood. :?

Oh. I meant the color of my own post. It first came out in two colors without me doing anything and when I tried to change that white wasm't available. Let's see how it works this time. :-)
meow is offline   Reply With Quote