Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jul 20, 2004, 10:50 AM   #1

Hi,

I am a complete beginner to the world of photography but since I received a Minolta Dimage Z1 for my birthday (thanks to the reviews on this site!) I am becoming more and more interested.

Although I have tried to find some generic advice/information about using extra lenses I currently can't see any, and so far all the advice seems to be on specific camera/lens combinations.

Can someone tell me what effect adding a tele-photo lens would do to my images and similarly for wide angle lenses? I have an idea but I'm not really sure and don't want to buy anything that I don't really understand. So far I haven't really felt limited by the size of photos my Z1 can take (in terms of landscapes) so I am curious as to what extra a wide angle lens might add - a before/after shot of the same scene might help! Secondly, although I think the 10x zoom of the Z1 is great I can imagine a time where it may still not be quite enough, such as on safari!

Apologies if this is "too newbie" but I couldn't think of anywhere else to post it!

Finally, if anyone could recommend any decent wide angle or telephoto lenses for the Dimage Z1 that are available in the UK I would really appreciate it for future reference. A spectrum of prices might be handy too!

Regards

David
David_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2004, 3:26 AM   #2

Well, there are good add-on lenses, and bad ones.

Usually I recomend the Raynox lenses because they are good and they tend to work well with long zoom cameras (i.e. 37-370mm).

There are cheaper ones out there (ones with names like Digital Optics, Crystal Optics) that should be avoided.

Unfortunately Raynox doesn't show images on your particular camera, but they do show them on the Olympus C-750 (another 10x zoom camera) if you want to see with and withouts:
http://www.raynox.co.jp/comparison/d...omp_c750uz.htm

Can't say if you would get as good results on your camera.

Here's a page of the lenses, and you click on a particular lens it will give you the specs and what cameras it is compatible with:
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/egindex.htm

I own the DCR-6600Pro which is a .66x and I'm thinking about the DCR-2020Pro which is a 2.2x.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 3:49 AM   #3

so am I correcting in thinking that if I used a 2.2x telephoto lens with my 10x zoom on the Z1 it would actually give me 22x zoom?

Or is it more complicated than that!

Similarly, what would 0.5x/0.66x wide angle lens do to my picture?
Old Jul 21, 2004, 4:07 AM   #4

It's more complicated.

Your camera is still a 10x camera, just the range of zoom has changed...without an add-on lens it's 38-380mm, and with the 2.2x lens it's 83.6-836mm; with the .66x it's 25-250mm and with the .5x it's 19-190mm.

In each case, your zoom is still 10x...that's why the zoom factor is misleading.

It's only if you take BOTH with and without the lens into consideration...with the 2.2x and full optical zoom it IS 22x the full wide WITHOUT the teleconverter (22x38mm=836mm).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 7:06 AM   #5

lol now I'm really confused
Old Jul 21, 2004, 5:45 PM   #6

Its actually simpler. The 10x number is marketing speakit sounds like it means a lot but it really doesn't have all the information in it.

The magnifying power of your camera is the 35mm lens equivalent divided by 50mm.

So your camera as-is goes from 38mm (Slightly wide angle) to 380mm (about 7.6x magnification).

Add the 2.2 multiplier and you end up with 83.6-836mm (as pointed out) which magnifys the image from 1.6 to 16.7x.

What that actually means can be figured out with the calculator on this page
http://www.photo.net/making-photographs/lens

Byplugging numbers in you will get the size of object that will fill your picture at a certain distance.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote