Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jul 20, 2004, 2:24 PM   #1

I recently purchased an Opteka wide angle lens for my digital camera. Having a wide angle has been terrific! However, when I printed my new shots, some of the photos had a blacked-out corner... not all, but many. :sad: I'm guessing its interferance with the lens. What's up and can it be corrected before I take my shot?!
gubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2004, 1:26 AM   #2
TC3

What do you expect with cheap rubbish?
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 4:28 AM   #3

Vignetting is not unusual with wide angle lenses. Might help if you posted some facts, camera type and the lens' x factor for a start. Also, the diameter of the threads of the camera and the lens.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:03 AM   #4

My camera is an Olympus Camedia 3.2mg with the 10x zoom. I purchased the Opteka 0.5x superwide panoramic lens. The photos have been fine, save for the occasional blackout in the upper left corner. --- the diameter of the threads is just a tad outside my hardware knowledge.
gubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 11:58 AM   #5
htb

TC3, I think your comments are uncalled for.Gubes was looking for advice, not insults.

Gubes, your problem may have to do with the add-on lens interfering with the flash. Happens to me all the time with my Canon A80 with the lens adapter and the wide converter attached.The solution is to turn off the flash.
htb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 1:26 PM   #6
TC3

Yeah i apologize....but i do not see wy people constantly buy very cheap lens
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:01 AM   #7

TC3, people buy cheap lens because they don't know the difference between quality vs cost. I am a novice at photography and am learning the differences in quality. You need to cut users some slack and explain why that lens is not a good choice and which one is.
mckennma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 12:42 AM   #8

gubes wrote:
Quote:
I recently purchased an Opteka wide angle lens for my digital camera. Having a wide angle has been terrific! However, when I printed my new shots, some of the photos had a blacked-out corner... not all, but many. :sad: I'm guessing its interferance with the lens. What's up and can it be corrected before I take my shot?!
Let me assume that you do not have a filter nor a step ring between your camera lens and the Opteka lens. If this is the case, the problem is basically the Opteka lens projectsprojects an image circle on to the camera lens that is smaller than the needed when the camera lens is zoomed all the way out. So, if this is true, it is not an interferance problem, it is the problem of the Opteka lens. IMO, if the dark corner problem happens when the camera lens is zoomed all the way out, then either you zoom the camera lens in to avoid the dark corner or replace your Opteka lens with a better one. Here is my suggestion:go to your local camera store, and and mount the lens you wish to buy on your camera, take a few shots at the widest focal length, and go home and examine the images. If dark corners do occur, it is not the lens you want. If you are a beginner, always buy converter lenses that can match your camera lens. Buying generic lenses such as the Opteka usually puts you into the situation you mentioned. Opteka lenses are one of the worst.

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 and PanasonicFZ-10 User Guides

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 11:02 AM   #9

And before buying something it doesn't hurt to ask here...we see questions here all the time about Opteka, Crystal Optics, Digital Optics, etc. All they can see is the price, but we've seen this type of message before complaining about one of these lenses, and all we can say is to stay away from them.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2004, 12:34 PM   #10

I am glad to hear this site offers good advice and pre-sales help.
mckennma is offline   Reply With Quote