Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Aug 3, 2004, 8:31 PM   #1

I want to try one of my 28mm lenses (Nikon FC-E8 fisheye w/male threads) onto a 30.5mm (Canon ZR-40 w/ female threads). What's the easist step-up ring arrangement that could do this?

If possible I'd like to keep the add-on lense as close to the camera's lense as possible.
Cooly-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2004, 12:00 AM   #2

Do you know if the lens element sticks out or not?
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 5:00 PM   #3

The camera's zoom doesn't come out (all internal). The 30.5mm female threads of the camera stick out past the camera's lens.
Old Aug 4, 2004, 5:10 PM   #4
Administrator

I would expect it will vignette on your camcorder. Those Nikon fisheye lenses were specifically designed for the tiny 3x optical zoom lenses used on the Coolpix 9xx series of cameras. The stepup ring you're looking for is non-standard as the only 28mm threads I have encountered were those on the Coolpix cameras and they're closer to 28.5mm and they also have a non-standard pitch. Nikon made it purposely difficult to mount anything other than their own conversion lenses on the Coolpix cameras. You might have to have it specially machined so I'd just try holding it in front of the camera to see if it is even going to work before paying someone to make a custom ring.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2004, 12:05 AM   #5

I liked the results when holding the fisheye lens up to the camcorder. I was actually able to mount the FC-E8 lens to another camcorder (Sony CCD-TR517) via the UR-E4 adaptor. But the adaptor made the lens too far away from the camcorder. Manually holding the lens up to the camcorder achieved much better results. Thus, need step-up ring(s).