Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Aug 4, 2004, 9:48 AM   #1
eal

Greetings--

I think that I have finally narrowed down what I want to buy. I think I'm going to buy from B&H, they seem to be a reputable place to get equipment from, and I have seen there named mention here....I have a couple of questions however.(I have a c2100 UZI) Here is the list:

1)49-55 step ring

2)TCON-17

3)55mm linear polarizing filter.

4)55mm (and 77mm?) uv filter.

5)(checking bank balance) and probably a MCON-40

6?)77-55 step ring?

So my questions are, is it necessary to have metal step rings? I think I read that the tcon weighs like 9oz. Will that stress the ring to much? I'm thinking that I will always have the 49-55 on just to make things simpler; which is why I chose the 55mm filters. Is there a problem with having a polarizing filter between the uzi and the tcon? What about he mcon, I've seen it mention that I could have the mcon before the tcon, or the reverse. The reverse is a little more difficult since I would have to get a 77-55 ring that is press fitted to the end of the tcon. What makes more sense? (Information on stacking the lense at www.b-300.com) I would think that the mcon would have to be at the end, but I don't know, and also does it even have threads at the end.. Since the tcon and it's bretheren don't have front threads, should I assume that I don't need to worry about a UV filter in front of them..

Sorry so many questions, I searched the forums, but couldn't find my exact questions answered.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Alan

eal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2004, 8:16 PM   #2

eal wrote:
Quote:
Greetings--

I think that I have finally narrowed down what I want to buy. I think I'm going to buy from B&H, they seem to be a reputable place to get equipment from, and I have seen there named mention here....I have a couple of questions however.(I have a c2100 UZI) Here is the list:

1)49-55 step ring

2)TCON-17

3)55mm linear polarizing filter.

4)55mm (and 77mm?) uv filter.

5)(checking bank balance) and probably a MCON-40

6?)77-55 step ring?

So my questions are, is it necessary to have metal step rings? I think I read that the tcon weighs like 9oz. Will that stress the ring to much? I'm thinking that I will always have the 49-55 on just to make things simpler; which is why I chose the 55mm filters. Is there a problem with having a polarizing filter between the uzi and the tcon? What about he mcon, I've seen it mention that I could have the mcon before the tcon, or the reverse. The reverse is a little more difficult since I would have to get a 77-55 ring that is press fitted to the end of the tcon. What makes more sense? (Information on stacking the lense at http://www.b-300.com) I would think that the mcon would have to be at the end, but I don't know, and also does it even have threads at the end.. Since the tcon and it's bretheren don't have front threads, should I assume that I don't need to worry about a UV filter in front of them..

Sorry so many questions, I searched the forums, but couldn't find my exact questions answered.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Alan

I'll try a couple of these:
Quote:
2. I've read that the TCON body is a high-density plastic, so I don't think weight will be much of an issue. I don't know which camera you have, but the adaptors should be able to handle the weight.
Quote:
3. Depending on how your camera measures exposure and focus, you may need to by a circular polarizing filter instead of linear. Check with someone who knows for sure. (not me)
Quote:
Good luck, Tom
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote