Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Aug 12, 2004, 8:42 PM   #1

I have a couple of questions regarding add-on lenses for the 6490:

1. Has anyone out there usedthe Schneider-Kreuznach0.7 wide-angle lens for the 6490? Is it as good (or better) as the Olympus Wcon? I guess it's a moot point, as I've already ordered the Schneider, but still, I'd like to hear your opinions.

2. Is there a better teleconverter than the Olympus Tcon17? I'm travelling to New York City in a couple of weeks, and am planning to graze through the Times Square shops. I'm seriously considering the Tcon 17, but I'd hate to buy one and then hear that the "Raxblog 3000" is earth-shatteringly superior.

Your opinions are welcome.

Tom
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2004, 12:17 PM   #2

I have a DX6490 and also the Schneider 0.7 lens and also the TCON-17, so what do you need to know?

I have spent hours reading about the add on lenses and talked to many FZ10 owners who recommended the TCON-17 in a flash.

There is a better teleconverter, the TCON-14b which is (only) x1.45 magnification, but is a heavy beast to hang off the end of the Kodak adapter.

The Raynox DCR-2020pro is more zoom, (and cash) but the quality drops on other cameras, so I won'tworry aboutit unless it's a free tryout.

I'll post some images later on. (When I find something nice to point the camera at)
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 2:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the response;

I'm convinced... I think. I guess I'm kind of like my friend who is in paralysis over which new tv to buy... he's afraid that as soon as he buys "the next great thing", something is going to come out that will surpass it. I guess that's life. I'll see how the prices for the TCON17 are in NYC.

How are your results with the Schneider 0.7?

Thanks again,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Old Aug 13, 2004, 4:14 PM   #4

I've got a few shots with the w/a lens here but I will take the full set in the morning.

These should keep you going til then.

And here's an example when space is at a premium.

Normal without lens.

And now with the lens.

Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 6:41 PM   #5

Another option, Raynox. Many people (including Olympus users) swear by them. Their DCR-6600Pro (.66x) is a favorite among Olympus 10x zoom users (including myself) due to the lack of barrel distortion. They also have a new 2.2x DCR-2200Pro which looks good. Unfortunately the Raynox website doesn't have sample pictures on a Kodak, but here is their Olympus C-750 (38-380mm zoom) page with samples with and without the lenses (click the lens for the samples):

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digi...50uz/index.htm

Most of their lenses have 52mm threads or larger.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 6:48 PM   #6

Very nice... no vignetting. My lens should be in by Tuesday. I'll be interested to see how it performs.

Thanks again.

Old Aug 14, 2004, 11:19 AM   #7

Thanks for that tip. I did investigate the Raynox a couple of weeks ago. I saw some images taken with a Konica Minolta A2. The results were very nice, but the vignetting was too severe. Still, I'd like to see how it performs on the DX6490.

Thanks again.

BTW, if you live in Toronto, you should check out some of Michael H. Reichmann's workshops. Man, those guys are serious. (outstanding work, though)

Old Aug 25, 2004, 2:05 PM   #8

Wow! You guys really know your stuff! I have a question to add onto the thread...

Cold Snail wrote:
Quote:
I have a DX6490 and also the Schneider 0.7 lens and also the TCON-17, so what do you need to know?
Cold Snail,I'm an amie photographer who bought a DX 6490 a few months ago and is having loads of fun.I was eye-ing the lense adaptor recently and was wondering -how does that adaptor go on? Also, do you guys recommend any books (or online tutorials)out there on how to use the manual settings of a camera. Idiscovered the manual settings on the DX6490 but I'm not sure what they mean. F-stop? ISO? Exposure?!EEK!! :shock:

~ Dierva

Dierva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 2:57 PM   #9

Dierva wrote:
Quote:
Wow! You guys really know your stuff! I have a question to add onto the thread...

Also, do you guys recommend any books (or online tutorials)*out there on how to use the manual settings of a camera. I*discovered the manual settings on the DX6490 but I'm not sure what they mean. F-stop? ISO? Exposure?!*EEK!! :shock:
These specific questions really belong either in General, Newbie, or Kodak forums as they aren't specific to "Add-On Lenses". But quickly, you should start at this tutorial which covers the basics about photography including those terms:
http://209.196.177.41/

It's like learning how to drive, some people just want to learn how to get from A to B while others want to know more.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 4:38 PM   #10

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
These specific questions really belong either in General, Newbie, or Kodak forums as they aren't specific to "Add-On Lenses". But quickly, you should start at this tutorial which covers the basics about photography including those terms:
http://209.196.177.41/

It's like learning how to drive, some people just want to learn how to get from A to B while others want to know more.
Sorry @ that. I'll be sure to separate my querys and not just group them under one topic. That way, I'll probably get more responses, right? Thanks for letting me know.

Awesome tutorial, Mike. Thanks for the info!!!
Dierva is offline   Reply With Quote