Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Aug 30, 2004, 8:46 PM   #11
CFC

Which one of thes pictures did you use your add-on lens?
Thanks,
CFC

tsiya wrote:
Quote:
Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
Here we go again, AVOID THEM!!! They're garbage! ;-)

If you want a good lens, check out the Raynox brand:

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/egnikon5700.htm
Actually, mine are not all that bad, I have a 2XTC and a WA, macro combo I use on My C4000Z and C2500L. Maybe I got lucky. Had to retire for health issues, before I was ready, budget is really a big issue here. 2X won't agree with MyC720UZ, other OLYs turn out clean crisp shots. If You buy from a place that is reasonable about returns, and they don't prove out, no problem, send them back. I never regretted buying Mine.

http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v244/tsiya/
CFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 3:43 AM   #12

But has anyone here used them and has been dissatisfied or this might be only speculation?
sciclunam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 4:57 AM   #13

sciclunam wrote:
Quote:
But has anyone here used them and has been dissatisfied or this might be only speculation?
Personally, I've read other's reviews who have bought those lenses and seen their pictures, and have learned from their mistakes...but I've also had an experience with a poor Canon lens that wasn't designed for my long zoom camera...

Here's a picture taken with the Canon .7x lens, and notice what it did to the normally recangular and perfectly level window frame:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...ide/barrel.jpg

It caused an effect called "barrel distortion". I've since replaced it with a Raynox DCR6600Pro .66x lens which has only -1.3% distortion.

But with lenses like Opteka, Digital Optics, Crystal Optics, etc., all I've read about them is complaints about softness, not uniform (soft near the edges), severe chromatic abberation (purple fringing), etc. Many lenses now being sold for digital cameras were originally designed for lower resolution camcorders (<0.3mp), and they worked fine on them.

Once in a while you'll see a message here saying that they bought one of those lenses I mentioned in the previous paragraph, and they're wondering why the pictures are so bad with them. The low price of them is tempting, but with the low price you get low quality.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 10:58 AM   #14

I don't have an online album yet, so I'll post a few shots individually here on this topic. I recently visited New York City and looked at Telephoto lenses in some of the Times Square shops. This in itself was an interesting experience, but more to the point, I saw first-hand the results from cheap lenses.

The first lens I tried was a "Bower" 2x Teleconverter. It came in a nice wooden box and a sticker price of... wait for it... $1499.00 US. Notice, as Mike said, the "softness" of the shot.
Attached Images

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 11:11 AM   #15

Now the same shot without the tele. By the way, by the time I left the shop, the dealer had lowered the price to $200.
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2004, 11:18 AM   #16

Here's the same shot without the tele lens.

Oh, by the way, before I left the shop, the dealer had dropped the price to under $200 US!
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2004, 11:34 AM   #17

Oops, sorry about the multiple posts... I keep getting kicked off my server.

Here's a Bower 3x tele. I forget what price this one was.
Attached Images

Old Aug 31, 2004, 11:36 AM   #18

And here's the shot without...

Notice how blurry the 3x is.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:28 PM   #19

Here's the pic.

I apologize for the messed up posts. My server is having a bad day.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Attached Images

Old Sep 26, 2004, 2:58 AM   #20

since those expensive lenses are really out reach. i bought the digital optics on ebay, and tested them on my c765. Since i haven't used any other lenses, images through both 0.45macro/wide tele2X looks sharp and accurate for me.

The problem with 0.45x: not much, good lens. If you want to get rid of the fish eye effect, photoshop can do the trick.

Problem with 2x: not useful since i already have 10X. when adding a filter lens in between, there will be big black corners, must use manual focus for most pictures. (and probably would be too blurry when shooting at a very far distance.)

That's all i've found so far. I think they worth the money i paid. ($99 for 2 tripods, 3 filters, tube converter, clean kit, and those 2 lenses, 2 carring cases.) If you are like me who really can't afford expensive lenses, my suggestion is go for it.
irrelevant is offline   Reply With Quote