Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Aug 23, 2004, 8:14 AM   #1

Howdoes a UV Haze filter and Circular Polarizing Filter differ?
mckennma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2004, 8:29 AM   #2

YES. UV filters are basically like standard glass, they don't affect the picture that much and are mostly for protection of the lens.

Polarizers polarize the light, only letting in light that comes in from certain angles...check out this link for info about polarizers:

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...polarizer.html
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 8:47 AM   #3

Thanks for the link. Is it worth having both filters? I was told Polarizing filter is like sunglasses for your camera. Would the UV filter help in some situations? I am going all over Europe in October.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 9:54 AM   #4

They serve different purposes. As I wrote, UV is for protection (at high altitudes, it also serves to get rid of haze), and a polarizer is to cut reflections (as written in the website above).

The reason why someone might say it's like sunglasses, is there are Polaroid sunglasses on the market, which do the same thing as a polarizer except the Polaroids also have a dark tint...there are filters on the market that reduce the amount of light coming in, but these are called Neutral Density filters, but these aren't a necessity.

I own all the above, and many more, but for travelling I'd just take my UV (which stays on the camera unless I use another filter) and a polarizer. Here's a sample of what I got:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08.../filterfun.jpg

For information on what other filters are out there, check out:
http://www.thkphoto.com/products/hoya/index.html
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:11 AM   #5

Wow!, you have more filters than Heinz has pickles. I am just getting really into using my camera. I picked up the S1 IS because of the cost and a 10X zoom. I did not want to invest $1000s into a camera. I will be taking it and my Canon S45. I have a Super Digibin with a 20GB hard drive for storage.

How are Quantaray filters? Can I stack a UV filter and Circular polarized?Would it improve day time picture taking? I figure Camera + UV + Polarized would be the order? Is this correct?

I want good shots of the Acropolis and other sites in Europe? I have been practicing in inside low light. I found Av mode works the best. I use manual focus and flash to get good picture quality.

I have to wait a few weeks to get the adapters, wide and telephoto lens. One of the adapters is for lens and other is a hood. Still reading on all the settings and do's and dont's. Any tips and advicewould be appreciated.