Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Sep 1, 2004, 1:05 AM   #1

I'm on a very fixed budget & need advice on buying additional items for Nikon's Coolpix 5700.

My1st question isabout the difference in lens. My current lens is F=8.9-71.2 mm (35-mm [135] camera format equivalent: 35 - 280 mm). Which I have no idea what that means... I'm just a growing photographer. LOL

Nikon's Wide Conversion Lens widens visual perspective to approximately the equivalent of a 28mm lens on a 35mm camera. And their Tele-Converter Lens is 420mm .

So is that a really big difference than the orig. lens & would I be happy with the results? What I'm getting at, is it even worth the money to purchase such lens?

What about alternative makers of accessories for the 5700? Is there anything out that's cheaper & worth buying? Anywhere from lens-filters? Are Nikon's lens really that much better? Will the other ones work?

How about the Raynox lens?

I've been real pleased with the Coolpix 5700 so far. I especially enjoy taking telephoto & macro shots. I would like to expand the abilities of this camera especially in these areas.

I'm not a pro, but a novice & this camera has allowed me to learn so much that I otherwise never couldn't afford to do. Would you recommend investing a lot of money in a camera like this?

I can't see being able to afford, or even need, a pro SLR in the near future.

Thanks again for eveything!

Zanne

stater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2004, 8:05 AM   #2

Since you mentioned Raynox, did you check out the Raynox site? They show what their lenses look like, and show examples of pictures with and without the lens on the camera so you can see the difference and give you an idea of what the add-on lens can do that the camera alone can't (click on the lens for sample photos):
http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/egnikon5700.htm

Regarding the Nikon accessories for your camera, Nikon only makes a few models and although their lenses are made specifically for their cameras, they can't provide a wide variety and still make a profit. Raynox on the other hand makes lenses to go on all sorts of cameras so you get a wider choice.

BTW, in terms of general wide angle lenses, the Raynox DCR-6600Pro is one of the best on the market with the least amount of barrel distortion (curving of the picture)...it's even better than their DCR-720 which has less wide angle capability.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 9:25 PM   #3

Have you had actual experience with the Raynox lens or the Coolpix 5700?

That DCR-6600 Pro was actaully one of the ones I was considering. From that site you sent the shots look good, but I didn't know if that was true or just what they wanted you to think.

Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2004, 5:32 PM   #4

stater wrote:
Quote:
My1st question isabout the difference in lens. My current lens is F=8.9-71.2 mm (35-mm [135] camera format equivalent: 35 - 280 mm). Which I have no idea what that means...

Nikon's Wide Conversion Lens widens visual perspective to approximately the equivalent of a 28mm lens on a 35mm camera. And their Tele-Converter Lens is 420mm .
See the "Lens Overview" page in the "On-Camera Lens" section of my 5700 user guide. There, you will see shots from 28mm to 420mm. The 50mm one is approximately the one our eyes see.

Quote:
So is that a really big difference than the orig. lens & would I be happy with the results? What I'm getting at, is it even worth the money to purchase such lens?
A good converter lens provides you with better and sharper results. My 4500 user guide has several number of lens comparisons. They are in the "Converter Lenses" subsection of the "Odd Stuffs" section.

Quote:
What about alternative makers of accessories for the 5700? Is there anything out that's cheaper & worth buying? Anywhere from lens-filters? Are Nikon's lens really that much better? Will the other ones work?
See my 5700 user guide for the better converter lenses. Cheaper lenses usually have lower image quality, especially along the edge of an image, lower contrast (i.e., flat and dull,higher chromatic aberration (i.e., purple and green fringes along high contrast areas), and higher barrel (wide) and pincushion (tele) distortion.

Try Olympus WCON-07 for wide angle and Olympus TCON-17 for telephoto. You will need an adapter that is different from the Nikon's. Again, see the "Converter Lenses" section of my 5700 user guide for the details. If I were you, I would put Raynox lenses below the above mentioned two on my list.

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 and Panasonic FZ-10 User Guides

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 1:22 AM   #5

Thank you & I'll be heading over to your site now.

'Preciate it!

Zanne
Old Sep 4, 2004, 9:06 AM   #6

I personally use the Raynox DCR-6600Pro with my Olympus C-700 (38-380mm lens), and I love the results. I had a Canon .7x wide-angle converter before, and that lens had a LOT of barrel distortion (the curving of the picture you get with wider lenses) that I'd have to correct with every picture I took with it, but the Raynox 6600Pro has none that I can see. Here's an example of the barrel distortion I had with the Canon:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/08...ide/barrel.jpg

Just be aware (as they say on the website) that depending on the filter adapter tube you use with your camera that there's the possibility of vignetting in the corners of the picture (this is an issue with many cameras, and with other WA converters as well).
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2004, 1:18 AM   #7

Raynox shows what the shots are suppose to look like if you use their lens with the 5700. If you believe them... they all look ok.

Thanks for your comments & pic.

I think I'll try DCR-2020 Pro with my Coolpix 5700. It's a little cheaper than Nikon's, though not a lot, but it looks like a better lens.

I think I'll see how this lens does before I buy anymore. If it works I'll probably buy more of theirs. I've heard they make good lens.

Thanks again,

Zanne
Old Oct 17, 2004, 1:38 PM   #8

I tried some cheap, but big lenses bought from ebay. Garbage. Waste of money. What you really are interested in is the resolution power of the lenses - how much info can pass through the lens. Raynox is way lower than Nikon.

After also trying Olympus 0.7 X wide angle, some SONY lens, I decided to buy the original Nikon wide angle and tele. Never regreted it. Money worth spent. One cannot notice aditional lenses are there.

Those adapter lenses do not match the new Nikon 8800.
d65r is offline   Reply With Quote