Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Sep 7, 2004, 12:55 AM   #1

ok..i'm just checkout out a couple things....to see wat i can get away with, lens/camera wise if i were to upgrade..

now, i don't have money coming out my ears...lol, i wish i did...but i don't

so i was wondering

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...267&is=REG

that lens seems to be perfect...macro, wide-telephoto....cheap.....lol

now, i was wondering...is that lens a piece of crap? i mean it's f3.5-5.6 so it's not very fast...but will it be sharp?

i have a canon G2...and pretty much anything is a step up now..(it's an amazing camera...it's just really old now)

i was thinking the digital rebel with that lens....it would only be $1,200...i could save up for that...

would it be worth it to get that lens?

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2004, 6:32 PM   #2

Vito, You are right it will probly be slow I have not used this lens soI can not comment on the sharpness of it.. But as far as lenses go trust me you get what you pay for.. but as you evolve with your equiptment you will find that the lenses you use most will be f 2.8 and that is why they are so expensive.. Demand! This lens may be a good starter lens for you but as you collect them it will go deeper and deeper in your bag.. AVery good lens i use a lot of the time is the Tamron 28-75 sp af asperical xr di f 2.8 macro about $399 B&H.. This is a awsome mid priced.

Have you looked at the nikon d-70? I have only shot the 70. but if i had to decide between the two.. it would be the 70 for one reason Flash sync speed, the 70-1/500. The Rebel-1/250.. For fast action flash capture and a f2.8 you are there... thats my 2 cents worth good luck.... Dale

cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 6:45 PM   #3

thanks dale!

i REALLY appreciate it!

well...i'm a canon-supporter lol so that's why i'd go with the rebel..

thanks for telling me about that lens it looks good! i mostly shoot landscapes and still life shots....so that would be a good one for the landscape, and a decent one for still life..

thanks...

Vito
Old Sep 12, 2004, 9:40 PM   #4

Vito, my buddy with a digital Rebel just got a couple Canon lenses, one of them is some big horsepower monster looking lens, but the other one is even smaller than my 50mm Canon I use for reverse. Darryl likes to shoot things in near dark situations, and he was telling me that this small Canon lens is so fast that he can nearly hand-hold it even in very dark shots. Let me see if I can track him downand get him to write down for me what it is. He works as a captain on a merchant marine boat, so it might take me a week or two if he's out of town, but I'll see what I can do.
Guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 9:49 PM   #5

oh cool

thanks

Vito
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:16 PM   #6

Hello Vito;

My brother-in-law has the Canon Rebel and uses the Tamron mentioned above. He gets some very nice results with it. He says he still uses the stock Canon lens sometimes but prefers the Tamron.

For what it's worth,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:23 PM   #7

thanks i really appreciate it

i know i have to upgrade....especially by next summer...i'm going out west for a month (not the best situations for photography....kinda rushed, and i'm only at each place for like a day..so not much planning the shots....but i can make use of wat i have, like i did on my trip to the outerbanks and the smokies....)

i pretty much shoot landscapes, but i do take some macros, and still life shots... for most of the still life i could probably use a 50mm and just compose with the tripod with how close/far i need to be....i'll have to research, so i don't end up buying lenses i don't need

(wow...the compact cameras have SERIOUS versatility....)

thanks for all your help!

Vito
Old Sep 21, 2004, 2:38 PM   #8

Being on a budget I've shot with a lot of cheap lenses. The 5.6 on the tele end is relatively slow but you should probably be using a tripod for those tele shots anyway (indoors, like a wedding I recently shot for my friend). As far as quality of the lens, most OEM lenses are higher quality hence the premium prices, BUT and this is a big but.... Most lenses and I mean even the dirt cheap ones are better than most photographers. I'm not the first to say it, and it might be a little cliched, but more often than not the difference is the person BEHIND the lens, not the lens itself. Most people don't need corner to corner sharpness, and unless you're a professional architectural photographer, you don't need 0% distortion lenses either (need a shift/tilt lens anyway) for under 200 bucks you get a great lens. Spend a little more and you can get either the Sigma or Tamron 28-200 or 28-300. Your choice. Don't forget about cheap primes too. A Nikkor 50mm 1.4D will set you back about $270 but lose halfa stop and get a 1.8D and you pay only 90 bucks. Whatever's in your budget. Whatever gets the shot. Whatever makes you happy.
Theycallmetak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 5:25 PM   #9

thanks alot for taking the time to post...

it may be cliched, but it is true at least for things that i know of (i don't know a whole lot about lenses and quality and such as you can see )

well, my concern isn't so much about the speed, being i'm probably gonna be shooting landscapes and still life shots (note the important word there "STILL life" )

i may....if i get brave enough, try to get some birds...but they'll be ducks, geese and maybe a heron....nothing too small and crazy

lol

wow, a 28-300 sounds like it would cover most of my range...would that work with macro at all? i would think i'd need to be far away to focus, but it will still focus within, let's say 10 feet? right?

if i got that, all i'd need is a nice super wide, and i'd be set...

i think...

that would keep me under 2,000 i think, if i got the rebel...

thanks for all your help!

Vito