Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Sep 12, 2004, 9:09 AM   #1

Hi everyone,

I am wondering where I can find upgrade lenses for the Nikon coolpix 3700. I am looking for the upgrade optical zoom lens and the macro close up lens. I found a set of three lenses on e-bay and it is for 40 dollars, but the person selling it has bad feedback so I am hesitant to order it from him.

Thanks for any help,

Dan
Dan_555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:21 AM   #2

Dan -

Unfortunately, I don't think that you can add-on additional lenses to the Nikon 3700. I took a quick look over at B&H at the specs and it was noted that there was no place to attach an adapter for mounting an additional lens or filter.

That said, it would not hurt to look around. I would start looking at Bell & Howell (http://www.bhphotovideo.com) or Adorama to get an idea of what's available / possible (and both offer reasonable prices.) Similarly, you can look at some of the advertisers here on Steve's DigiCams site. Also Pemaraal Online (http://www.b-300.com/) and the Filter Connection (http://www.2filter.com/) offer add-on lenses and reasonable service. Remember, you'll need a lens tube adaptor and this could be the "sticking point" in trying to find a lens to fit.

Some of the lenses to avoid are those that have "titanium" or "digital optics" in their name. As you found, these are generally available on E-bay but they don't have the quality optics both you and your camera expect.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:25 AM   #3

In the add for this 3 lens set it says that they work with the Nikon coolpix 3700...Here is a link to the ad: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Will these lenses actually work with my camera, and if soI am wondering where I can find an online camera store that stocks these lenses.

Thanks

Dan
Old Sep 12, 2004, 1:47 PM   #4

plg3,
I can't seem to get any of your links to work.
Thanks
Dan
Old Sep 12, 2004, 4:27 PM   #5

Those are some of the lenses mentioned above that should be avoided!

Also the link you posted is only a TWO lens set (with ring adapters).

No where else can I find an ability to attach lenses or get a tube adapter for the 3700, including Nikon's site. If that's what you want to do, you'll have to buy another camera. If you had bought that Ebay package, you'd probably find there's no way to attach it to your camera. If there's no thread to attach the lens (or lens tube adapter), these won't work!

The only option out there is from Cokin, and it requires attaching a magnetic ring to your camera's lens to attach Cokin's accessory lenses:
http://www.cokin.fr/ico12-AN-p0.html
(although many pros use Cokin filters, can't say what quality their lenses are...but your 3700 IS listed as compatible here).

Personally I suggest asking in Nikon forums to see if there's any other 3700 users who have any suggestions.

Regarding PLG3's links that don't work, the right bracket is being included in the url...try copying and pasting the links and remove the brackets.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 4:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Also the link you posted is only a TWO lens set (with ring adapters).
Oops...I posted a link to the wrong ad...sorry about that. The ad that I was thinking of sold 3 lenses that the seller claimed worked with the 3700: macro close up, telephoto, and wide-angle. The lenses in the ad I posted a link the are the same ones though and it is the same seller. I think I will try asking in the Nikon forum.
Thanks
Dan
Old Sep 12, 2004, 8:38 PM   #7

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:

Regarding PLG3's links that don't work, the right bracket is being included in the url...try copying and pasting the links and remove the brackets.
That's exactly it, Mike. I got rushed and forgot to put a space between the bow legs "( )" and the URL. Sorry 'bout that.

Good advice from Mike on looking around for an adapter that might fit. Good luck in the search.

Paul in NoVA

plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2004, 6:24 PM   #8

Mikefellh,

Those lenses that you mentioned that are attached magnetically look like they will work with my camera, but on their site I can't find any information on where to get these lenses,can anyone tell me where to get them?

Also, can someone explain what is wrong with the lens set listed on e-bay (im a newbie to photography, don't know anything about lenses)?

Thanks for all your help,

Dan

Old Sep 21, 2004, 8:32 PM   #9

Um...anyone?
Thanks for any help,

Dan
Old Sep 24, 2004, 9:50 PM   #10
Sci

Dan_555,

I can't answer your last question, but I wanted to point you to the following site:

http://www.photosolve.com/main/index.html

It has adaptersforattaching lenses to digicams as well as lots of other cool stuff.

-Sci
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote