Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Sep 19, 2004, 9:43 AM   #1

Hi,

Do mose people with wide angle lens keep them mounted on the camera all the them or do they attached it only when needed? I have a Panasonic GS400 Video cam which I consider adding a wide angle lens...

Thanks.
bigboysg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2004, 10:04 AM   #2

It depends only your needs. It was one of my considerations when I decided to get a camera with 28-200 zoom without attaching anything.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 10:54 AM   #3

I tested the Vitacom wide angle lens on the GS400. Looks pretty good in(video) tape capture mode, but when Iswitch to card recording mode I see the fish eye (Vignetting) in 1X which vanish when I zoom to at least 2X and beyond. Wonder why it doesn't show up in video mode.....
bigboysg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 7:23 PM   #4

Some W/A's will not focus when zoomed. Check 'em out first.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 4:06 PM   #5

normc wrote:
Quote:
Some W/A's will not focus when zoomed. Check 'em out first.
Thats where manual focus comes into play. The ammount of vignetting depends greatly on the camera it goes on too.
blankcanvasfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 4:38 PM   #6

bigboysg wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Do mose people with wide angle lens keep them mounted on the camera all the them or do they attached it only when needed? I have a Panasonic GS400 Video cam which I consider adding a wide angle lens...

Thanks.
So what's the answer to the above question, I like to know too, if it's recommended.
Trek55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2004, 7:20 PM   #7

I can not answer for everyone and I am not sure if you will get an answer? I do not leave my W/A lenses on all the time with one exception. My Sony 717 with the W/A lens was able to zoom 5x and stay in focus. This was useful for landscapes and the like. BUT it was also VERY heavy and not funto lug around. If you like W/A shooting why not look for a camera that starts at least at 28mm or even lower?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 7:23 PM   #8

You'll likely have to take it off.

Let's say you are at Yellowstone on want to shoot some Buffalo at a distance. They will look like small specs and possibly like the photo below when you attempted to zoom in on them. Removing the WA lens will enable you to shoot the animals as the subject, even at a distance.

If in the rare instanceyou were to use it for a singular purpose that alwaysrequired a WA lensand the lens wasn't too cumbersome to store/transport with the camera, then you could leave it on.
Attached Images

Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 9:03 PM   #9

Boy, do I recognize this kind of shot! On a recent trip to NYC, I did keep my wide-angle lens on most of the time. When you're on a tour bus 100 feet from the Guggenheim, you don't have a lot of time or options to engineer a shot that will capture the whole building. When you're in tight quarters, the wide-angle can be your best friend.

However, if you decide you want to zoom in on an interesting subject, you'll end up with the effect shown above. Sometimes even that is desirable. There is a company that is doing good business selling lenses to create that effect. See this thread: The Lensbaby

Regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote