Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Sep 24, 2004, 10:38 PM   #1

:?: I am interested in finding a telephoto lens for my S5000 but I have no idea where to start. I know that Fujifilm has a 1.5X lens. I know I need a 55mm lens, or one that can be adapted to this size. Is there another recommended brand that would work? What should I look for? With as much as I know about this, I might end up buying a watermellon to stick on the front! :lol: Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
minnesotamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2004, 11:07 PM   #2

See the following link:

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/s5000/index.htm

You can click on the lenses for sample images.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 1:42 PM   #3

mikefellh,

Thanks for the quick response! I'll take a look at it. Any personal experience with that brand?

Mike
Old Sep 25, 2004, 2:20 PM   #4

I use the Raynox DCR-6600Pro with my Olympus C-700...it's the best wide angle out there (due to the fact it has no visable barrel distortion). I also know of others who use the DCR-2200Pro with their C-7xx cameras.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 5:13 PM   #5

Mike -

Mike F. had some good advice about looking at Raynox. I've seen some really good pictures taken with Raynox lenses.

I would also suggestthat you take a look the Olympus telephoto lens, TCON-17. It has a 1.7 magnification factor as well as a 55 mm mounting thread andexcellent optics. Pemaraal On-Line ( http://www.b-300.com/index.html ) has some examples (including a comparison between the TCON-14B and Raynox DCR-1540 Pro; very nice results with the Raynox.) I have the TCON predecessor, the B-300, and am very satisfied with the results. (I bought both my B-300 and a wide angle adaptor, Oly WCON-07, from Pemaraal and was very pleased with the process.)

I think that the one caution many here would throw out is to be careful of what you purchase, especially if you can't try it out before hand. (Duh!) It seems that nearly any lens with "Titanium" or "digital optics" in its name is hardly worth the money - poor quality optics. It's a classic case of "if the price is seems too low to believe, it probably is." If you have questions on any particular lens or brand, come on back to Steve's and ask. Someone here will probably have an answer. There's not such thing as a dumb question - it's how we all learn.

Have fun looking for a new lens!

Paul in NoVA
C-730 B-300 WCON-07
plg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 9:39 PM   #6

Mike & Paul,

Thanks for the responses. Am I going to notice a big difference between a 1.7X and a 2.2X? I see that there is a big difference in price. I want to be able to take closer sports pictures. The Olympus doesn't show the S5000 as being compatible. Is this a concern or do I just need to worry about the thread size?

Thanks for helping me through this!

Mike