Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 10, 2004, 5:35 AM   #1

I have been looking at the posts about subj. but miss any actual experience by the forum users. I have never used additional lenses before so here comes the newbie questions:

1. I took a look at Raynox lenses and they seem to be of goodquality. True?

2. On Raynox www it is stated that the Canon adapter ring (LAH-DC10) is to be used for the lenses. I would prefer a grey ring in same colour as the camera itself. Does anyone know where to get a grey ring? (Lensmate has one. Someone know if the quality is ok?)

I'm especially looking for a macro lens and a tele lens + wide angle lens later on.

3. I saw the Raynox DCR-250 Macro lensat Lensmate ($55.95) and read the review of the macro lenses on their site.Has anyone tried it? And maybe have some pics?

4. Looking at the Raynox DCR-2020 and 1540 and the price difference: approximately $70 I wonder if I should go for the "big" one or is it overkill with a tele lens with x2.2?

I really would like to know your experiences and see photo examples with the S1. I should state that I have picked out Raynox because of thegenerally speaking good reputation they have. But other brands are more than welcome.
Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:07 AM   #2

Many Olympus C-7xx users (same 38-380mm focal length) like the Raynox lenses...I personally use the DCR-6600Pro .66x lens on my Olympus C-700 and found it VERY good, even better than a Canon .7x I used.

Unfortunately the Canon S1 is a newer camera so there's limited amount of third party accessories available right now. I know on my Olympus, as the lens accessories and filters are all black the black tube actually looks better than the chrome.

I personally use diopter lenses (they look like filters) for closeup photography as they were cheaper.

Between the DCR-2020Pro (2.2x) and the DCR-1540 (1.54x), personally I'd choose the one with more magnification. I currently own a 1.4x, and it leaves me wanting more...Olympus has a T-con 17, but why go for just a little bit more.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2004, 2:59 AM   #3

I took a glimpse at some of the pictures taken with the Oly-7xx + Raynox lenses. It looks promising but asyou say, the S1 must be to new since few people uses it with add on lenses. I hope some S1 owners see this post and would be able to help with a few shots.

I thought about buying a couple of diopters as well but the DCR-250 looks good to me and I like the easy click-on system. I think it will be a 100% sure item in the shopping basket!

Wide angle would be nice since the S1 only have 38mm as widest angle (35mm equivalent) especially indoor it is sometimes hard to get it all in one shot.
The Wide Angle lens would help to get some more light into the sensor as well, would it not?

About the tele-lens...well I came to the same conclusion as you did: Why go for the smaller one and maybe be disapointed. But then again, I need some serious tests of the DCR-2020 before buying an add on tele to $199!! I still don't even know if the S1 can use the 2020 with a good result so I don't plan on buying that one right now.

Still hope, that some users would upload some samples/tests to see how the S1 handles the different lenses.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 9:36 AM   #4

Note, for wide angle I only recommend the Raynox DCR-6600Pro...it's the only one of their lenses where barrel distortion (curving of the picture) isn't visible. That's a big issue for wide angle, and was a serious problem with the older Canon lens I mentioned above.

As for Canon users posting their stories, I suggest you head to the Canon forum here (if you haven't already) and post a message saying, "I was wondering if there are any S1 users here who have used other lenses with their camera?" Not all users will venture out of their manufacturer specific forum.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 4:18 AM   #5

I have done that but it seems that not many have tried the add on lenses or are unwilling to reply to the posts of an answer seeking Dane! :O

Hope someone feel pity for me and gives me an answer to some of my questions!
:lol:
Old Oct 27, 2004, 2:30 PM   #6

I have a S1SL too and have found it difficult to find much information about the extras that could be used with it. When I purchased my camera it came with a complete kit - silver adapter collar, 3 filters and two addition lenses (2X telephoto and .45X wide with Macro from Merkury Optics. I am still learning and have not really determined if it is the lenses or the camera... or perhaps my newby skills that turn out blurred images with the additonal lenses.

So with that I must say the lenses are out there but I can't offer much as to which one is better than any other.
funpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 2:21 PM   #7

Hi Henrik,

Thk for reply.

Wherei can find photos of the DCR-2020?
You know if the quality is good?
Thks Henrik
rico-br-rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 4:01 AM   #8

More than a month has passed but I haven't seen any pics yet taken with the S1 IS and the DCR-2020 tele lens. I hope a "bump" to this message will make it possible for someone that uses a tele lens with the S1 to read this and write a post. I'll keep searching for the combination of the S1/DCR-2020PRO.

As of the DCR-250 Macro lens I have just ordered one from Lensmate and will of course post some sample shotsin the close up forum and on my website to satisfy all you S1 lovers!

The thoughts of a wide angle lens has been pushed in the background for now.One guy suggested to use the built in stictch program. It is not quite the same but with some training it should be possible to makes some decent wide angle shots.

As someone wrote in another post: http://home.comcast.net/~ilamansky/is probably the closest you will come right now to combination of the lenses above and the S1. (The pictures on the siteare taken with a PRO1)
Old Dec 7, 2004, 4:07 AM   #9

With regards to the Lensmate DCR-250 Macro Lens check out this post.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=7
Old Jun 8, 2005, 7:16 PM   #10

I found this blog of a S1 IS owner that compared the Raynox DCR-2020 to the Canon TC-DC52B.

http://www.blogd.com/archives/001219.html

Check out the next entry also:
http://www.blogd.com/archives/001220.html

He ended up favoring the Canon 1.6x over the Raynox 2.2x.
Unfortunately, there are no real sample pics, just his impressions.
MCSmarties is offline   Reply With Quote