Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 14, 2002, 7:41 PM   #1

Default How can I get more zoom??

I have an Olympus C 2040Z and am very pleased with it. I purchased a Tiffen Megaplus 2x Telophoto Converter lens. It's pretty good, but is there a way to get even closer? It's 67 mm in the front for adding filters. Can I attach another Zoom lens to it to get even closer? I'm absolutely new to photography, so please be patient if the questions seem a bit "stupid". : )
Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!!!
probert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2002, 4:53 AM   #2

You "could" stack another teleconverter, but it probably wouldn't be too great a result.

I believe the 2040Z is compatible with the Eagle Eye OpticZoom 5x. You won't have any zoom range - you would need to run in full zoom to minimize vignetting (black shadows in the corners), but this lens will give you a total of 15x (5x times the native 3x). Here's a link - excellent company, excellent product....

You will get some shadowing in the corners, even at full zoom - but this is unavoidable with this much focal length and the 2040...

Lin

http://www.eagleeyeuk.com
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2002, 10:20 AM   #3

I am receiving the Kenko KUT-500 for my birthday in November. It has 5X maginification. If you have time I will post a review after I receive it. My kids are buying it for my birthday. You can look at it at www.2filter.com
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2002, 12:42 PM   #4
Administrator

Default Re: How can I get more zoom??

Quote:
Originally Posted by probert
I have an Olympus C 2040Z and am very pleased with it. I purchased a Tiffen Megaplus 2x Telophoto Converter lens. It's pretty good, but is there a way to get even closer? It's 67 mm in the front for adding filters. Can I attach another Zoom lens to it to get even closer? I'm absolutely new to photography, so please be patient if the questions seem a bit "stupid". : )
Any suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!!!
Seriously - buy an Olympus C-720UZ or find a C-2100UZ if you want more telephoto power. Add-on lenses require the use of the color LCD to frame properly and most of them blur the edges of the images and add a certain amount of distortion to the entire image. You're better off with a camera with a larger optical zoom, and don't get drawn in by the marketing hype of digital zoom, only optical zoom counts!

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2002, 1:41 PM   #5

I second Steve's advice, but would get the new C-730 over the 720. It's better in several ways, including having more zoom. See his review. The C-2100 has been discontinued. You can get it refurbed or used for about $450, but you get reduced warranty and probably increased trouble down the road. Fine camera, though.

The image quality with the cameras that already have the zoom built in will far exceed that of your trusty 3x zoom with a converter.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2002, 7:37 PM   #6

I opted not to get the Kenko KUT-500. The people at www.2filter.com said that I would not be happy with the results. I agree with Steve if you plan to shoot alot of super zoomed pics. I have oredered a Raynox Pro 185 and I will post my results. I still am wanting a telephoto for an occasionaly shot.
Old Nov 10, 2002, 9:34 AM   #7

Default thanks everyone............

just wanted to take the time to thank everyone for taking THEIR time to reply to my post. i REALLY appreciate it!!! this is such a great site!!
i think what i'll do is end up holding on to my good old 2040Z for a while. i'm an absolute beginner, recreational, weekend photo enthusiast, so i'll just get the most out of my camera that i can. then when i'm ready, i'll look into a new and better camera with the zoom (optical) built into it. i think that makes the most sense. thanks all again, i'm sure i'll be asking some more crazy questions in the future!!! lol!!

mike
probert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 11:40 PM   #8

Or buy a mazda, zoom zoom, hehehe
rikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 9:44 PM   #9

I received the Raynox Pro 185. I shot a couple of quick pictures and you can view them. I was not using the tripod with the tele lens attached. The goose picture is a bit blurry. I needed the tripod. Look at the photos here
http://www.pbase.com/gibsonpd3620/inbox