Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 18, 2002, 11:45 PM   #1

Default lenses for olympus c-720

Did anyone ever realize that lenses are extremely confusing, especially to beginners? I guess not. :?

Well, here's the deal, I want to take better pictures in macro mode (mainly of flowers and bugs) and my new oly c-720 doesn't get all that close. Someone on the Olympus board was nice enough to explain to me that I would need a CLA-4 adapter (?) so I could use close up lenses. The adapters look nice and cheap, and so do the close up lenses, but I was wondering if I should get a +1, +2, +3, set or a tiffen set which I found that's a +7, +10 set... Keep in mind, I want really nice close ups of flowers and bugs, not of the bacteria crawling around on a flower pedal. Is + 7 to close?

Ugh, this is so frustrating.
Is Tiffen a good brand? What are some of the good brands? If I get the CLA-4 will any brand of close up lens work?

I want to get a UV filter mainly to protect my lens, can the UV stack with the macro, or will I be changing tons of lenses all the time

Oh and it would be great if I could see some sample pictures using any of the lenses above...

And yes (in case you were wondering) I can ask more questions, I can go on, and on, and on, and :twisted: ......

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
~Jessa
butterflysdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2002, 4:44 PM   #2
njb

Definitely fet the +7 +10.

I am in the process of returning my +1 +2 +4 kit back because it didn't make that big of a difference. I have a C720 also with a CLA-4 55mm adapter.

I just ordered a +7 +10 from
http://www.camerapeople.net/Pages/digital.html for $72.90 including shipping. If your source is less expensive, please let me know.

Hope this was helpful

njb

BTW, keep your lense protected with a UV filter.
njb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2002, 7:33 PM   #3

Thanks for replying njb,
I think I found a good set of lenses at bugeyedigital.com.
They have a tiffen adapter for oly c-720 which I believe has 43mm threads for $10, then there's the +7 +10 tiffen maga plus close up lens set (43mm) for $37. And they also have a Kenko UV guard filter (43mm) for $6.

Here are the links

for UV guard
http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...ken-knuvg.html

for close up lens
http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...tif-cu710.html

and the adapter
http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...olyc700ad.html

If anyone can take a look at these and tell me if everything will work together, and if it's a good deal that would be great!

Thanks
~Jessa
Old Oct 21, 2002, 7:20 PM   #4
njb

I wouldn't get the 43mm because you are stepping *down* in diameter. You want to get flters that fit your cameras lense diameter or step *up* or it will interfere with the picture field. It's like wearing shoes,you can always fit in a size larger but not in a size smaller.

The CLA-4 adapter steps up to 55mm so you can use 55mm filters.

I just ordered a Tiffen 55 mm +7 +10 set at :

http://www.adorama.com/refby.tpl?sku=ITFCU

I know this all may be confusing, but just keep posting your questions on this board before you buy anything

njb
Old Oct 22, 2002, 3:30 PM   #5
njb

******IMPORTANT FOLLOW UP******

I just called Tiffen and they discontinued the +7 +10 macro kit for 55mm, so it doesn't matter where you order it, because you will not get a 55mm kit ANYWHERE

Olympus has a Macro Converter Lense, MCON-40, which fits over the CLA-4 adapter and works with the telephoto and wide angle so you can get different macro magnifications as you zoom in and out. I just ordered one from Amazon.com and they're not cheap - $106.

Hope this helps,

njb
Old Oct 24, 2002, 12:41 AM   #6

Those Tiffen filters sounded so nice too! I wish I could buy the MCON-40, but I just don't have that kind of money. I think I'll keep searching around for a Tiffen set (maybe on e-bay) and while I'm doing that I'll find an old pair of binoculars and try and make my own close up filter. I made one for my old Sony camera but I used really cheap magnifying glasses and they didn't work that great.
Here's how I learned to make my lens if anyone's interested.
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...sername=amiga7

For now Iíll just buy a CLA-4 and a UV filter.

Thanks njb for helping me with my questions, I appreciate it! I'll try and keep everyone updated.

Thanks,
Jessa
Old Oct 28, 2002, 4:41 PM   #7
njb

[Laughing][Very Happy] [Smile] [Exclamation]
Dear Jessa,
Very very good news! I tried the 43mm adapter and close up set (+7 +10) and to my great surprise, there was *NO VIGNETTING*. (vignetting is when the picture field is cut off at the corners due to a lense barrel or lense hood getting in the way of the full field of vision, which is what I cautioned you about).

So your solution via the BugEye website works and I want to thank you again for the URL's. You can now save yourself alot of time trying to manufacture the lenses yourself.

BTW - The closeups are excellent with this set.

Have fun!
njb
Old Nov 3, 2002, 11:44 PM   #8

I picked up that 43mm set at the Circuit City store locally, you might look into that too?
Best Reguards,
Y
ShortBusCandid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2002, 9:28 AM   #9

Thanks njb and Short

You helped me a ton! I just ordered the lens set from circuit city, and you saved me $8 plus whatever shipping was (circuit city has free shipping)!

Thanks again,
~Jessa