Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Nov 17, 2004, 4:03 PM   #1

Hi,

I have Nikon N65QD with 28-80 and 70-300 lens. I am planing to buy Canon EOS Rebel Digital Camera.

My question is can film camera lens from Nikon N65QD be used with Canon EOS Rebel Digital Camera.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
Raj
raj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2004, 6:57 PM   #2

Highly unlikely that a Nikon lens is going to fit a Canon body, digital or otherwise.

cheers,

jim
jimtfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 3:21 PM   #3

Have you considered a Nikon DSLR instead?
If your lens can be used with the Nikon D70
this might be the deal for you.

Dalcio

Dacol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 6:02 PM   #4

Bayonet mount lenses from Nikon SLRs, either digital or film, will not be interchangable with Canon SLR bodies underANY circumstances.

You would be better off buying a Nikon DSLR if you want to use those lenses.

dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2004, 1:34 PM   #5

Years back I changed mounts on different lenses. I had some screw in Pentax and changed the mount to a bayonet Canon. I also had a huge third party 800mm that I converted to aCanon mount also.I don't know if it can be done today but in the past the lens stayed the same but the mount changed. Maybe call a camera repair place and see if it can be done and how much. If not, why not just buy a Nikon camera to match the lens?
FrankJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:03 PM   #6

FrankJ wrote:
Quote:
Years back I changed mounts on different lenses. I had some screw in Pentax and changed the mount to a bayonet Canon. I also had a huge third party 800mm that I converted to aCanon mount also.I don't know if it can be done today but in the past the lens stayed the same but the mount changed. Maybe call a camera repair place and see if it can be done and how much. If not, why not just buy a Nikon camera to match the lens?
You can do that only if the lenses are old screw mount. In that case there is a screw adapter to bayonet for various bayonet mounts. I have an 400mm lens with a "T" screw mount on it. I bought a T-mount to Pentax K-mount adapter so I could use it with my Pentax. It means that this becomes a "manual" lens, on which the aperture is not stopped down automatically.

But as I said before, you can't "convert" from one bayonet mount to another.

One possibility is if it's a Tamron or other third party lens. In that case you can sometimesattach/detach the mounton the generic lenses, and change it to another mount.
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 3:55 AM   #7

hye,

yes it is possible !! (.....if you have aperture ring on your lenses)

i have a film Canon EOS and some Nikon Ais and 42mm scrw mount that I want to keep (so nice shots for few $$). I bought 2 adapters: M42 lens to EOS body, and Nikon lens to EOS body. In that case you work in priority aperture or manual mode (depends of the EOS and you must have manual acces to aperture ring on your nik lens). The EOS show "0.0" on the display, but the speed togles as you move the real aperture (there is no aperture link beetween lens and body of course)

You will find these adapters on eBay for ~10$. If you want to mount other lenses , you will discover Leica R, C/Y, Pentax and other brand adapters. The EOS beeing the brand to have the longer register distance (beetween lens flange and film)

The only thing beeing that you have to accept to work in real aperture priority (Not difficult at all)and manual distance setting (depends of your eyes, and depends of the rebel: has it manual distance assistance, if not it is more difficult to be accurate but really feasable) .

Good luck !
guyxacti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:22 AM   #8

As others have suggested, I would suggest getting the D70. For most uses the D70 and the 20D are equivalent cameras. They both have their advantages in specific uses.

You don't say how old your lenses are, some older Nikon lenses won't support matrix metering on modern bodies. I would ask in a camera shop or download the D70's manual I know it says in there.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote