Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 25, 2002, 5:49 AM   #1

Default Filters for Minolta 7Hi - 55mm + step down or 49mm?

As the header, I want to fit a UV permanently and add a polariser or effects filter as required, will I get any vignetting if I use 2 x 49mm filters and should I therfore go for 55mm and use a step down ring :?: .
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2002, 7:32 AM   #2

the rule of thumb is the thiskness of the filter ring should be no more than 4mm thick. i use a B+W F-PRO. Hoya makes 2 models of thin ring filters. you aren't going to find thes in the local stores because their not a high volume item and their not low priced. average $ is $35 for a UV. all filters are Multicoated.

i use a cokin P holder from my 35mm system for my square filters and sometimes their polorizer

if your going to stack round filters with a step up ring you better start thinking 58 or 62 because the further out you go the view cone gets larger. you have to

http://www.2filter.com

this place has the quality filters and generally in stock all the time. you can call them and they'll make recomendations. pretty cool people.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 8:43 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply I've got a spare Tiffen 49mm UV filter already, I was going to add a 49-55mm step-up ring and then a 55mm polariser but from what you say I should get a 49-58mm step up and then add 2 58mm filters.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 8:50 AM   #4

just put the filters on the camera and hold the larger one in frontat 28mm. step up rings dont add that much to the depth. maybe 3mm at the 28 setting check the corners out for darl areas on a light backround. if it works all you need is the st up ring. if not you now have a direction to go. if you have ia good shop near you go in and stack them to see what happens at 28mm.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2002, 10:21 AM   #5
NHL

FYI. I used to have a Tiffen 49mm. It will vignette at 28mm (not all corners)... ie the step up will work only before the UV!

The only problem is don't go too large or you can forego the Tulip shade...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote