Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jan 4, 2005, 11:50 AM   #1

New here…and to any sort of photography so there is a steep learning curve. I've been looking around for a while now and feel that I have a very basic knowledge of terms and ideas but I don't have any practical experience.

So,

I've got a Kodak 7630, which seems to be a good camera and so far I'm very happy with. But it lacks in optical zoom with only 3x (37-117mm) and I don't get the impression that the extra MP will make up for using digital zoom. This particular camera is used for everything. Family shots, indoors and out, vacation photos (we like to camp and hike a bit), and I'll be using it for ebay type shots of auto parts as well as pictures of cars at the track.

The idea of taking pictures at the track is the one I'm concerned with the most with only 3x zoom. Sure, many of the pics will be close up in the pit area but any taken with the cars on track seem that they would need a better zoom, right? I'm not looking to be a professional or create perfect pictures but I'd like to make good pictures that I'm not going to be disappointed in when done and printed. The larges prints I would be looking to make are 8 x 10 and I doubt that I'll be making too many of those.

So when it comes to lens choices I only see a few in my price range (sub $100). The Kodak Retinar 2x telephoto seems to be a natural choice since I have the Kodak camera and it can be had with adapter for around $60, but there are others that I have read decent things about however have never seen anyone use them with this camera. The Oly Tcon-17 seems to be a well-liked lens. Does anyone feel that it would be a better choice than the Kodak lens for me? Also I've seen a couple people suggest a Kenko lens but not as good of reviews as the Tcon-17. Are there any others I should consider? I thought I had seen one with a 2.2x, which may be nice without going overboard, but I can't remember where or what that was.

I understand that even a 2x lens won't give me phenomenal zoom with this camera but I'd like to stay away from any mega zoom add-ons that will require a tripod or special equipment. I'll freely admit that I'm never going to put my camera on a tripod and truly use it as a point and shoot. I don't have the patience or desire for that level of photography…at least not right now.

So, opinions on add on a lens for me?

Thanks for the help! photography so there is a steep learning curve. I've been looking around for a while now and feel that I have a very basic knowledge of terms and ideas but I don't have any practical experience.

So, opinions on add on a lens for me?

Thanks for the help!
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2005, 4:45 PM   #2

Mr. Carter:

I can tell you that I like the TCON 1.7, but rarely use it. It may cause degradation, but the value is academic; I see no degradation shooting through it. I did a search for the KUT-300 converter and saw three shots side by side. The KUT shot had fringing all along the details in the photo. The OLY does not do this. Three things:

1. It's quite large/heavy, big as modern P&S altogether, and may require a special adapter.

2. On my application, the camera must be in full zoom, or the photos become ‘interesting.'

3. 1.7x is not a great ‘zoom' difference. I think of it as the next zoom notch, or ‘11' one a zoom scale of 1-10.

Hope this helps, Have fun!
Attached Images

Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 11:06 AM   #3

Hmmm…

Yes, that does help somewhat. I think that I will rarely use a telephoto lens myself outside of when I'm at the track, in which case I'll most likely use it all day there. I imagine I can live without it all together but I'd sure like more than the 3x zoom this camera has. I'm also again glad to see that the Tcon-17 doesn't seem to have as many negative effects of others.

Thanks for the picture…it is a bit larger than I thought it might be but again I've never even owned a camera before!

Has anyone used the Kodak Retinar 2x lens? Opinions on that one?

Thanks
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:37 PM   #4

yes i have that lens I use it on two cameras thdx4530 and the dx7630 which I can say gives the cameras the extr umph the need I did have to purchase two different mounting rings but no big deal thebest thing you could do for this camera I took this pi from the top of whittier hills about 15 miles away fromdowntown los angles so I think it will give you better results at the track
Attached Images

toadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:46 PM   #5

:?I dont know how far this jet was away but I got a prety good shot even without tripod.I think these shots are easy to get because the camera is constantly focusing so you only have to get it in your view finder then glance at the lcd screen and snap your pic
Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2005, 8:58 PM   #6

:-)here im guessing I was 15- 20miles from this mountain
Attached Images

Old Jan 20, 2005, 9:14 PM   #7

:shock:check this out I bought all the add on lenses and some sunpak filters everything works perfect but I have yet to try the sunpak filters I also need a good minipod
Attached Images

Old Jan 25, 2005, 5:48 PM   #8

Thanks Toadfrog!

I actually just picked up this lens but have not had the chance to play with it yet. I don't expect HUGE improvements as far as zoom goes but I don't want to give up picture quality either. I'll try to get back with a couple sample shots after I get the chance to take a few.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 8:40 PM   #9

hey, i have the DX7630, and im interested to see some photos with and without the 2x teleconvter lens on it.

plz post some
s|r_b00st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 6:21 PM   #10

s|r_b00st wrote:
Quote:
hey, i have the DX7630, and im interested to see some photos with and without the 2x teleconvter lens on it.

plz post some

I realize it's been a while but the scenery around the midwest this time of year isn't so great. I haven't had the chance to go out and use the lens...hoping to do so asap but need something to shoot.