Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jan 12, 2005, 11:29 PM   #1

I recently upgraded to a Nikon 8800 because of the macro function to take photos of opals. Problem 1: the opal is too small in the picture even if I go to maximum macro and focus manually. So I though it should just be a matter of adding a 10X macro lens. This didn't help, its just like looking down a long tube at a small opal. What do I need to do in order to have the opal fill the whole frame and be in focus. If someone can tell me it will help with my hair loss, because right now I'm about to pull it all out:?
opaladdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2005, 9:32 PM   #2

What size (in MM) are the opals? The 8800 out of the box should work fine, you may need to work on the technique that you use. If you shoot a lot of opals, you most likely will want to consider a copystand. I use mine for coins, some as small as 12mm in diameter, and the 8800 works great.
K6AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 1:00 AM   #3

Thanks for replying. Maybe I am just doing something wrong with the settings but I can't figure it out. I have attached an image of how the photos are turning out. When I try to get closer the macro "flower" turns white and the camera won't focus.

The opal in the photo is 21mm long.
Attached Images

opaladdict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 11:44 AM   #4

OK, I can see what your problem is, you're too far away from the opal. For shooting small objects like this, you want the lense 2 to 5 inches from the object. Do not use the optical zoom. Also, in macro mode, it is absolutely critical that there is no camera vibration (the VR will help, but in closeup macro it's not enough). The solution is to either buy a copystand, or if you are short on funds after buying the 8800, use a tripod. If you use a tripod, it will still be subject to some movement, so use the timed shutter release and pull your hands away from the camera to insure there is absolutely no vibration.

I have some small gemstones here, I believe topaz and amythest (sp?). I'll take a few shots and post them.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:10 PM   #5

I took a couple shots of my gemstones. I've never tried to shoot them before, so I'm sure I could improve my lighting and background for them.

This is a 1.39 ct topaz, it measures 9x6 mm.
Attached Images

Old Jan 14, 2005, 12:11 PM   #6

This is a 6 ct amythest, it measures 12x10 mm.
Attached Images