Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jan 21, 2005, 4:20 AM   #1

I'd like to knowif it's useful to purchase a polarisation filter.
I've come across two types: circular and linear. What's the difference?:?

My camera is a Minolta Z1 and I mostly tke pictures outdoor.

http://www.magicphotoworld.com

MPW Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2005, 3:10 AM   #2

It's often said that you need a circualar polarizer with TTL autofocus. I'm not sure that's always true.

http://dpfwiw.com/polarizer.htm#circular

I don't know if you would find a polarizer useful.:-) It reduces reflexes from non-metallic surfaces. Glass, water, asphalt... So if that's something you want you'll find a polarizer useful.

You can get a deeper blue sky (but you can get that with editing too). You can also get more saturated green colors and better contrast in foliage on sunny days.

I find that it's much harder to use apolarizer with my digicam (Canon g5) than with a SLR. It's hard to see on the LCD when the effect is the best. :sad:
meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 3:30 AM   #3

I also read that a circular is needed with autofocus. But why is raynox offering this item then for most brands of digital cameras?

It's hard to find other kits with google, it looks like this is my only option... :?

http://raynox.co.jp/english/digital/...mcfiltereg.htm
MPW Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 4:07 AM   #4

Don't know about the Raynox but I think most filter brands make polarizers. I have an old Hoya that happens to fit my digicam. It actually is circular. No idea why because it was bought for my totally manual Canon F1. The sales person must have sweet-talked me real good. :lol:
meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 6:25 PM   #5

I bought that kit from Raynox and the linear polarizer seems to work just fine with my Panasonic Lumix FZ20. Autofocus and auto exposure are dead on. Not sure which cameras need the circular filter.

I find it pretty easy to adjust the filter. Whenever there are reflective surfaces, the reflections are clearly cut down when the filter isset at the correctangle. There are also markings on the filter ring which you line up with the light source (i.e. the position of the sun). If you cannot tell the difference on your LCD screen when aligning the filter, then the polarizer probably won't make a difference for that image.

Also, in many images I like to keep the reflections, such as skies reflecting off a lake or buildings being mirrored in other buildings, etc.

But for some images, if you want bluer skies, richer colors, etc. the polarizer works wonders.
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 5:53 PM   #6

A polarizer cuts down on reflections, and also brings out a much deeper quality in colors, especially on a sunny day. Consider the idea when you wear sunglasses, most of them are polarized.

As for the difference between circular and linear, to me, the main difference is that the circular one, rotates, so you can specify which part of the scene you want to darken.

I have a circular polarizer, a Quantaray (a Hoya basically) and it's my absolute favourite. If I'm going outside, it's coming with me. I prefer to use filters on the camera as opposed to editing, because I think it just looks better. Good luck!
chrish is offline   Reply With Quote