Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:33 AM   #1

Looks like the subject was too long...
Can anyone tell me the important differences between Canon and Carl Zeiss lenses?
Is there any noticeable difference between those two?
Can you point some of those differences or guide me somewhere where I can read and compare myself the two's.
Bodhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2005, 2:47 PM   #2

IMO, Carl Zeiss is far superior to Canon (even L seris).
Carl Zeiss is kinda like Leica or Hasselblad, they are top quality....

As a side note, I have a pair of Carl Zeiss binoculars, and they are by far, the best I have ever seen!

Brad
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:39 PM   #3

The general differences between these two families of lenses is the brand name, of course, and the price. Zeiss lenses are usually more expensive than the comparable Canon lenses. Regarding the quality, one has to compare a specific Carl Zeiss lens to a specific Canon lens. Sometimes Zeiss is better, sometimes Canon is.
sjlivson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2005, 2:46 AM   #4

TKS guys! I saw in Sony digicams only 3x Carls Zeiss lenses and I was wondering why...
I found only F828 with more than 3X zoom lenses.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 9:44 AM   #5

Bodhi wrote:
Quote:
TKS guys! I saw in Sony digicams only 3x Carls Zeiss lenses and I was wondering why...
I found only F828 with more than 3X zoom lenses.
This is because the F828 is a 'prosumer' camera. A bit more than a consumer camera but not quite a Professional camera, (some may say quite a lot not). It therefore offers that little bit more for the user including a bigger zoom. It in no way means that the 3x Zeiss lenses aren't any good, quite the opposite.

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2005, 1:59 AM   #6

Yeah you're right Stevekin. I didn't mean that those 3x Zeiss lenses are no good, but I was only suspicious why Sony didn't equiped a model (prosumer) with longer zoom lenses as they work with Carl Zeiss. That is why I've had doubts about the Zeiss lenses.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 3:59 AM   #7

Sorry Bodhi, misunderstood you. You're right, and that fact is compounded with the release in June (approx) of a Sony Prosumer, the Cyber Shot DSC-H1. With 5.1mp and a 36mm - 432mm (12x) Sony lens.

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/5814.html

Stevekin.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:07 AM   #8

Yep I've saw the news on DSC-H1 some days ago also but forgot to mention it. Tks for that!
Did not though knew that is equiped with Sony lenses... Now what this mean? Why they changed the lens manufacturer when going for a 12X camera? Hmmmm... tricky... Could it be that Zeiss told Sony that is expensive to do or that they don't want to participate for some unknown reasons...
Old Mar 11, 2005, 1:28 PM   #9

I only know the lens is a Sony from seeing it on the camera at the link above.

Who knows, maybe Zeiss are producing the lens for them ?? (I'm sure somebody will tell us)

Stevekin.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 1:46 AM   #10

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
Who knows, maybe Zeiss are producing the lens for them ?? (I'm sure somebody will tell us)
It's not logical for Zeiss not to put their brand name on the lenses if they are producing them for Sony. Myself I would be more confident in the quality of the lenses if knowing that the lenses are Carl Zeiss, rather then Sony... because I do not know anything about (Sony lenses) yet...
Hope too that someone will brake out the mystery...

Cheers!