Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:03 PM   #1

What's a good telephoto lens that I can screw onto the end of my S1 IS? I would prefer to be able to do handheld photography under daylight or when I'm spot metering bright objects, but using a tripod might possibly be an option in a few cases (btw I have a cheap tripod.)

I've heard good things about the Crystalvue LX 8x scope, but will that give me enough magnification, would I be able in some cases to use my camera's autofocus (or have the scope have autofocus capability or both), and can I focus on fairly close objects - near macrophotography or at least objects within 20 feet or closer?

Here's a sample shot of what I would like to fill the frame with, without having to use digital zoom. This was with the S1 IS at full digital zoom and a 7x50 pair of binoculars.
You'll probably IMMEDIATELY notice that the level of detail in that picture, even though I resized it from 2048x1536, is HORRID - about what you'd expect off a web-quality thumbnail IMHO. What would I need to be able to capture that same area with at least 2048x1536 pixels of decent quality (or up to the max my camera's lens/sensor can resolve)?

I want to be able to capture the surface texture of the moon. I will admit I was having an EXTREMELY difficult time focusing it though, especially since I don't have a way to put the binoculars on a tripod, so it was handheld without IS (and at this magnification level the camera's IS wouldn't have helped even though I was at least up to ISO 200 and F/3.1)

Edit: I was just reading a thread in the digiscoping forum, and someone wanted to do photography of surfers. I would also like to do photography of kids playing at a playground about 300 feet from my house, for example. What would I need to be able to do that with? My camera's lens is way too short of a focal length.

For the long end of the zoom, it'd be nice to be able to shoot some of the planets (and maybe even some of their moons) and have them recognizeable, and have some stars show up as more than just single white pixels. In case I didn't say earlier, I'm looking for a zooming scope (so I can zoom the scope in and out as necessary).
Attached Images

pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:03 PM   #2

Here's a shot of the moon through the binoculars without digital zoom
Attached Images

Old Feb 24, 2005, 10:04 PM   #3

And one more - camera only with digital zoom.
Attached Images