Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Mar 4, 2005, 4:08 AM   #1

Ok, here's a shot of a baseball game at the local school playground near where I live. I was standing on the roof of my house, and the batter and pitcher (both pictured) were probably about 800 feet away. I used full digital (32x) zoom, F/3.1, 1/100", 0 compensation, Av mode, ISO 200 for this shot.

What teleconverter do I need so that I could have gotten that same shot at 1/500" (or just in case my $1 tripod wouldn't work, a fast enough shutter speed to prevent camera shake even though IS was on (I didn't see camera shake in the attached shot btw), ISO 100, no digital zoom, and had just the batter's body (above the knees) and the ball & bat in the frame?
Or what's the closest I can come (even if I wouldn't have gotten super fast shutter speeds - just so long as it wasn't any slower than it was already)?
Attached Images

pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2005, 12:14 AM   #2

Uhm, maybe I misunderstand you but a tele converter won't enable you to use a shorter shutter speed. It will require shorter speeds to compensate for the maginfied shake but alas it won't provide the light for it.

A tripod and a lot of sunshine is you best bet. :|
meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 2:08 AM   #3

Ok, so I don't need to get FASTER shutter speeds, I just don't want them any slower with WHATEVER I get.
Old Mar 5, 2005, 2:19 AM   #4

Most tele converters won't change that noticably. If they do it's for the worse. Reason being thatsome of them"steal" light, like the ones that are really monoscopes.

The only way you can get a shorter shutter speed is to use a bigger aperture and/or higher ISO and/orbetter lighting. :sad:
meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:45 PM   #5

Ok, I just want to MAINTAIN the same shutter speed (unless there's a way to make the end of the converter physically wide enough to get me a faster shutter speed...) but I want to be able to zoom in considerably. I would preferably like to be able to at least maintain a F/3.1 aperture (that's the native full-zoom aperture of my camera) to the most telephoto position of the TC. I would like to be able to zoom in far enough so that, even with IS, I'm almost getting to where I would need a tripod for outdoor sunny daylight shots at ISO 100. (for reference, I understand proper exposure at F/16 would be the shutter speed close to the reciprocal of the ISO speed - for example F/16 at ISO 100 and 1/125" (using full-stop increments. At F/4 that would be ISO 100 and 1/2000".) I can handhold 1/8" second at full telephoto without a TC on my S1 IS.