Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Mar 6, 2005, 3:12 PM   #1

I just found a site that has close up lense for my Kodak DX7630.

They have sample photos that look awesome. My question is how do Close Up lenses work? How close do you get to your target?

The diopters (?) on the lenses are +1, +2 and +4 which of course you can stack them together to get +7.

But, how exactly do they work? Does your camera have to be set on macro mode to photograph with them? Are you an inch away from your target or are you a foot away from your target?

Steve

LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2005, 10:14 AM   #2

I don't have the camera that you have, so I can't speak to wether you need to be in macro mode to use them, but I do have a kit simillar to yours and can tell you in general how they work.

Simply put, they allow you to get further way for a close up subject. If you're shooting bugs for example, you wouldn't need to be quite so close and rick scareing the bug off. If your camera doesn't have a macro mode, or the macro mode still won't let you get close enough to the objectand still focus propperly, these filters will help with that.
Basement Shows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:15 PM   #3

Hi,

I don't have your camera but if you take a look at this posting we are just going through the different options, with the Kyocera M410R

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=19

Lots of sample shots with explanations thisshould help you out and give you an idea what can be gained.

My experience has shown me that you need to buy the best glass, otherwise the results are not that good.

Cheers Ian
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 3:40 PM   #4

Apparently they're of high quality, but who knows at this point. I saw some sample shots that were really, really impressive. It might be a week or so, but once I get them I'll post some shots that I've done.

Quick question, when using these lenses, do you have to have the camera in macro mode for them to work properly?

This is my first time with add-on lenses. The diopters on them are +1, +2 and +4 and you can combine them. But, to be honest, I have NO idea what that means.

Anyways, if anyone can help me understand this, that'd be great.

Steve

Old Mar 7, 2005, 4:10 PM   #5

Hi Steve,

Yep you can combine them if you looked at that link I posted you would see asample shot I did with the +4,+2 and +1 all stacked, it's not that good but these close-up lenses are very cheap have just bought some second hand ones from Ebay as they are much better quality, so will have to try these out.

Oh yeh the stronger goes to the lens first, so +4 then screw into that the +3 this woud be the equivalent of a +7 and so on!

As for macro mode, I have taken all my shots with the camera set to macro mode don't know ifit works with out not tried it.

Like I've said the macro +10 is only a single element and it's very poor most others I,ve looked at are at least 3 elements grouped together to give the best quality.

So if you want to get even closer I would take a look at the Raynox web site and look for the super macro for your camera.

Cheers Ian
IanWgglswrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 10:17 PM   #6

LINEBACKER 2 wrote:
Quote:
I just found a site that has close up lense for my Kodak DX7630.

They have sample photos that look awesome. My question is how do Close Up lenses work? How close do you get to your target?

The diopters (?) on the lenses are +1, +2 and +4 which of course you can stack them together to get +7.

But, how exactly do they work? Does your camera have to be set on macro mode to photograph with them? Are you an inch away from your target or are you a foot away from your target?

Steve

The use of close-up lenses is camera independent, and, hence, there is no close-up lenses made for a particular camera. The only thing you should worry about is the thread size (and how a close-up lens can be mounted on your camera). I assume you are a beginner. Please take a look at the "Close Up Lenses" section on the "Close Up" page of my Nikon Coolpix 2500 user guide.

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700 and Panasonic FZ-10 User Guides

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 7:47 PM   #7

Line backer, we just bought the same camera you have and I want to get a zoom/telephoto lens for it. What is the website you found that has the lens?
italianbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 3:49 PM   #8

Steve

could i have the link for the tele lens site? my mom is interested in buying this kind of lens. Thanks

Diane
KikididiRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:07 PM   #9

Kodak wrote me back in my query to the DX7630 and macro lenses, and Kodak informed me that the DX7630 is incompatable with macro lenses. So, I went and found the close up lens.

I actually bought the lenses on ebay. They have one more by the looks of it. The item number is 7500380067

Just do an ebay search with that number and the lenses will come up.

They have sample photos, which look really impressive.

Steve

Old Mar 13, 2005, 9:08 PM   #10

Diane, the lenses that I bought off of ebay are close up lenses, if you want a telephoto lens, I think Kodak.com has that for the DX7630

Steve