Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:00 AM   #1

I would like to pass on some information to any member considering the purchase of a non dedicated Teleconverter lens for their camera, (this is not aimed at the knowledgeable, I have a question for you lot in a minute).

In responding to another thread about using alternative brands of Teleconverters I became aware of a discrepancy in the figures relating to focal lengths when using a TCON-17 as opposed to the ACT-100.

The obvious facts : My A2 lens ranges from 7.2 (28mm), to 50.8 (200mm) and with an ACT-100 fitted it is 76.2 (300mm) at the long end.So......... you ask ? The ACT has a multiplier of 1.5x which makes all that correct. When using a converter lens the camera should have the latest update, which gives, amongst other things, an extra setting in the menu to tell the camera the converter lens is fitted.

Now my understanding is that this just enables the camera to give the correct focal length in the Exif info. And as this firmware update is aimed at the dedicated ACT-100, I presume that the menu setting, when set,is telling the camera an ACT is fitted, whether or not an ACT is fitted or an alternative. It even gives the focal lengthas 76.2 (300mm) when there isn't a converter lens fitted to the camera. But doesn't have an adverse effect on the use of the camera when used in any combination from the above.

The menu switch is just telling the camera it has an ACT fitted and the macro switch engaged is just locking the barrel in place. Same applies for the wide angle converter. Which leads me to believe that the setting doesn't actually have to used anyway, only to give the focal length in the Exif info. Likewise the change made with the firmware update. Although I stress that one should install the firmware upgrade as and when, as it makes other changes for the better.

So, a little insight and those are the figures in case anyone doesn't already know.

Now, my question for the knowledgeable. Although I now feel I have answeredIt already with the facts above....................With my TCON-17 fitted I get a reading of, you guessed it, 76.2 (300mm). Which is understandable if the above applies.

Aware of the fact that a converter lens is, to put simply, a magnifying glass placed in front of the camera lens, am I right to assume that in fact I am getting a focal length of 86.36 (340mm) at the long end (TCON is 1.7x), or are there any anomalies I have missed ??? Or in some strange way is the camera only allowing it up to 76.2 (300mm) ?? I doubt it, but would just like confirmation.

I hasten to add that I am very happy with my TCON, it performs as well as can be expected for a non dedicated lens, so pleaseno "you should have got an ACT if you are worried", because I am not worried, just intrigued with the numbers.

Hope this may help others and someone confirm my thoughts.

Thanks for your time,

Stevekin.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:46 AM   #2

Good point Stevekin

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 5:18 AM   #3

Hey Derrall, thanks.

I think I am right, unless anyone knows different.

Your Fiancee still shootingAuto ?:-)Or to put it another way, is the vanishing jpeg setting sorted out ?

Stevekin.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:29 AM   #4

Steve,

She hasn't had time lately to sort out the "Auto/RAW/JPEG problem but I'm sure the solution you and Jawz provided is the correct one.

Now then, did I miss something here? Remember that until we installed the update to the A2 it would not focus with the ACT-100 installed so that has to be taken into consideration at some point, right?? Wouldn't make any difference if it was a dedicated extender or a TCON. That leads me to believe there is more to the software than just EXIF info being displayed.

TG
Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:51 AM   #5

Trout Guy wrote:
Quote:
Now then, did I miss something here? Remember that until we installed the update to the A2 it would not focus with the ACT-100 installed so that has to be taken into consideration at some point, right?? Wouldn't make any difference if it was a dedicated extender or a TCON. That leads me to believe there is more to the software than just EXIF info being displayed.

TG
Sorry, I didn't get my TCON until after I had installed the latest firmware, so wasn't aware that this was the case. So, you had trouble focusing with a converter attached prior to updating ?

Because of my situation above, I only understood that as KM say themselves, that it is recommended to install the firmware update for users of the ACT-100, the ACW-100 and Dimage Capture DCA-200. I didn't realise it was actually necessary.

Thank you for correcting me Derrall, I really don't like to give misinformation, hence my asking for confirmation. Which you have done. :-) In my defence, I did stress it was advisable to update anyway.:G

Thanks again,

Stevekin.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:09 AM   #6

Nope, the A2 would not focus at all with the ACT-100 installed without the firmware update. Without the update the option to select Tele or wide angle was not part of the menu. This tells me using the tele/wide angle is menu driven and not purely optical. Hmmmm, a rocket scientist I'm not

:?

TG
Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:23 AM   #7

Derrall, I have just attached my TCON but did not set the camera to Teleconverter in the menu. Could focus without any problem whatsoever. Perhaps the firmware update enables the use of a converter, but maybe, as I first thought, you don't actually have to set the converter mode. Again, this may only be necessary for showing the correct Exif info, setting the camera seems to make no difference. But as you pointed out, it may still be necessary to update first of all before using one. :?

Try yours.

Stevekin.

Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:57 AM   #8

This couldn't just be a TCON vs ACT-100 issue could it? I doubt it 'cause they are both just hunks of glass screwed into the lens. Hmmmmm:-? Beats me but, hey, yours works and Patty's works

Steve, if you want to be the patsy, try removing the firmware (is that possible?) and see what happens:-? I will have access to the A2 over the weekend so I'll try it without setting tele from the menu and see.

TG

Old Mar 17, 2005, 1:02 PM   #9

Trout Guy wrote:
Quote:
This couldn't just be a TCON vs ACT-100 issue could it? I doubt it 'cause they are both just hunks of glass screwed into the lens. Hmmmmm:-? Beats me but, hey, yours works and Patty's works
I really can't see it's an issue between the two. I'm sure the camera doesn't know the name of the converter lens.

I'd be interested to know if any other A2 owner had focusing problems before updating the firmware when using an attachment.
Quote:
Steve, if you want to be the patsy, try removing the firmware (is that possible?) and see what happens:-?
Yeah, OK, I'll just take the risk in door stopping my camera then.:roll:

Seriously though, It's probably possible to do this but at what cost to the camera, (and my state of mind). Quite a few owners have been known to Futz their cams upwhen installing the firmware the first time round, so I'll pass on that one and wouldn't recommend you do it either. You may find yourself without a fiancee after the weekend. :bye:

Stevekin.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 2:34 PM   #10

Quote:
You may find yourself without a fiancee after the weekend. :bye:
:blah::blah::blah: Nope not me, wouldn't do that. I'm gonna leave well enough alone. I will use the menu to de-select the teleconverter and see if the camera will still focus. I suspect it will but that firmware upgrade has got to have something to do with it.

TG