Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Mar 27, 2005, 2:36 PM   #1

Hi I'musing a Sony F828 digicam and I've been trying to take photos of my shrimps in my fish tank.

What I'm finding lacking currently on my camera's macro mode is that I can not get close when I turn up the zoom.

Will adding one of those macro filter/attachment help with that?

I have read some posts here and I'm just a little unsure as to what to do.

Can the macro experts here please give me a hand?

THANKS!!!!

D
shrimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2005, 8:26 PM   #2

I'm using a DCR-250 Macro Adapter by Raynox. It allows me to get excellent macro images at the telephoto end of the zoom at about 4 6o 6 incles from the front lens. The down side of this arrangement is the extremely shallow depth of field. It's not unique to Raynox, of course but will be exacty the same (shallow) with any similar lens. Raynox has a less powerful Macro adaptor DCR-150 if you're willing to shoot slightly larger objects. Here is the link:

http://raynox.co.jp/english/digital/f828/index.htm

sjlivson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 9:31 PM   #3

If the 828 is like my 707...you have to activate the macro using the icon that looks like a tulip flower then, you have to go wide angle. You should be able to get right up close like 1/2 or so. Try it!!

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 2:54 PM   #4

shrimpie wrote:
Quote:
Hi I'musing a Sony F828 digicam and I've been trying to take photos of my shrimps in my fish tank.

What I'm finding lacking currently on my camera's macro mode is that I can not get close when I turn up the zoom.

Will adding one of those macro filter/attachment help with that?

I have read some posts here and I'm just a little unsure as to what to do.

Can the macro experts here please give me a hand?

THANKS!!!!

D
In addition to what Trout Guy wrote, are you aware that Sony makes a close-up lens -- the VCL-M3358 -- for the F828 ?

Glen B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 5:49 PM   #5

Just a bit more. If, indeed, the 828 focuses like the 707 and I'm guessing it does, you don't need any kind of additional close-up add-on lens. In macro mode and at full wide angle, the lens is excellent for macro work all by itself.

TG
Trout Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2005, 12:06 PM   #6

An additional macro lens (made by Sony, Raynox or others) allows to get high magnification at the Tele end of the zoom range. While the 828 is similar to the 717 the difference between the wide-angle end of the range (effective 28mm versus 35mm) is pretty significant. Sometimes you just can not bring the camera close enough to the subject. In addition, the biglens 0.5 inch from the subject creates a big shadow problem. Still another issue with both 717 and 828 is the barrel distortion and edge softness. It may become a serious issue when one tries to make pictures of small, flat, rectangular objectswith a lot of detail (postal stamps or coins, for example).
sjlivson is offline   Reply With Quote