Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Apr 1, 2005, 8:10 AM   #1

I have a Minolta Z10 with 43 mm filter threads in front of the lens. I found these add-on tele and wide-angle converter at a bargain price:

Canon TL-43 1.7X teleconverter for Optura 100

Canon WD-43 0.7X wide angle converter for Optura 100

at comtec.ca

for a price of CAN$10.43 each -This is less than 10 bucks US!!!

Actually S&H is more expensive than the lens!! I gotboth, plus S&H and tax, for around 30 bucks!!

Theconverters arebig and metallic, actually weigh MORE than the plasticky camera itself (especially the teleconverter)!! It takes a littleto coaxthe lens mount into the camera thread but everything fit snugly - beware you don't over-tighten the screws because the camera has _cheap_ plastic threads.

Yes, this add-on lens were originally designed for Canon camcorders, so you expect vignetting. The telephoto vignettes at and below about 2/3 of the zoom range, and the wide-angle vignettes at maximum wide.

I find the image quality of the telephoto converter excellent!! Now you can extend the power of the lens from 290 mm to about 500 mm (35 mm camera format)!

I am not too impressed with the wide-angle converter though: apart from the vignetting, there is also a lot of falloffs and some curvature around the edges. This is always the problem with 3rd-party add-on converters which are not designed for a specific camera, and it is always worse for wide-angle lens (well these manufacturers just market them as "fish-eye" lens, haha!!)

Here is the compromise: you are payingFAR LESS THANthe price of a cheap noname add-on lens, for __quality Canon glass__. Even with vignetting, I think the telephoto converter is absolutely worth it: you are not attaching the telephoto converter to get a wide-angle shot afterall, right? Personally I am not impressed with the wide-angle converter, but hey, for less than 10 bucks, you can give it a try!!

Comtec told me these are end-of-the-line products which are running out soon. They also have a few other Canon converters for other old model camcorders (I think 55 mm and 28 mm threads), at a very low price (around 10 canadian dollars). By the way, I don't work for Comtec - if I am advertising, I won't get much commission for selling a few of these left-over cheap items!!
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2005, 6:19 PM   #2

This is the 1.7X teleconverter on my Minolta Z10:

This is the 0.7X wide angle converter on the Z10:

This is the maximum zoom of the camera's own lens:

This is the maximum zoom with the 1.7X teleconverter:

This is the camera + teleconverter at the widest view, just showing vignetting - note the falloff at the edges and pin-cushioning:

This is the camera + teleconverter in the middle of the camera zoom range - there is still pin-cushion (note the edge of the left wall):

This is the camera + teleconverter at the same power as the maximum zoom of the camera's lens (about 2/3 up the zoom range) - no significant pin-cushion:

This is the widest view of the camera's own lens:

This is the widest view of the camera + wide angle converter - note the slight vignetting around the top and bottom left of the field, and barrel distortion (look at the white telephone pole on the left):

This is the camera + wide angle converter at camera's maximum zoom - some pin-cushioning:

This is the camera + wide angle converter, in the middle of the camera's zooming range:

In fact, looking closer at the pics, I realize the wide angle converter does not cause too much distortion, except at the widest and closest zoom ranges. The teleconverter does produce noticeable pin-cushioning at or below 2/3 of the zooming range. I haven't looked at chromatic aberration (lack of bright sun and clear day).

Still, these two lens costed me less than 15 bucks each, and they are Canon lenses!!!

Old Apr 19, 2005, 12:40 AM   #3

RiotAct posted test shots with his Canon camcorder tele and wide converters (46mm, with stepdown to 43 mm) on his Minolta Z10:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...20&forum_id=20

He is also getting the 55 mm converters and will post test shots soon.
Old Jun 9, 2005, 10:33 PM   #4

Sorry guys if you haven't got your cheap Canon camcorder lens from comtec you miss the boat - they smart up and bump the price back to normal retail, so there are no longer "basement bargain" items!!

http://www.comtec.ca/index.php?cPath...2922_2923_3707