Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Apr 15, 2005, 4:11 PM   #1

I was looking on ebay to see what's available, and here's a list of choices:

Opteka 2.2x
Tokina 3x
Phoenix 3x
item #7507511087 - no name 3x ("10 year warranty made in japan") - how to find out what brand this is without contacting the seller?
Kenko KUT-300Hi 3x
Opteka 3x
(note: 3.2x, the camera's digital zoom factor, is the minimum magnification I want, although 3x might be ok (only a 0.2x difference).)
Crystalvue 8x (how many stops of light are lost with this lens as opposed to the camera's normal telephoto?)

Or what's a good 5x lens, if the crystalvue loses too much light? (I still want to be able to shoot at least the recommended with-IS shutter speed for the lens zoom with a proper exposure, fully open aperture, ISO 100, in daylight.)

Which ones (especially higher magnification) are decent ones? Price is somewhat of a factor, but i may be willing to wait a bit and save a little $.

Also what are some other brands I should look at? preferably a 3.0 or 3.2x magnification minimum, more is better, but preferably not too much vignetting (corner darkness is ok but less so at full tele), and I don't want it to be too dark (i.e. I want to be able to get camera-shake-free pics with IS at ISO 100 in a couple stops or so darker than daylight conditions.)
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2005, 6:08 AM   #2

Unless you spend a lot of money, 3X is going to look like crap. 2X is the highest I would go and I wouldn't even consider the Phoenix/Opteka/Digital Optics offerings. Kenko/Tokinamight be half decent but look for authentic sample pics.
Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 2:34 PM   #3

actually, 3x isn't enough magnification for me. I was wondering what brands are good at 3x and above?

Also, assuming the same subject in same lighting, same aperture setting on camera, and same ISO speed, what's the typical difference in shutter speed using a Crystalvue LX versus just the camera?
Old Apr 29, 2005, 5:16 PM   #4

I don't know, but here's a page where a guy adds a kenko 6x and a Crystalvue 8x together, with sample pics:

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam...-8X/6X-8X.html

Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 9:43 PM   #5

I really like my Crystalview Sharpshooter. I use it on a Canon S400 with CKC's adapter. It shoots great pictures. You do need to focus it manually and the 1.5 inch screen on the Canon is a little small so sometimes I have problems with focus. One of the newer cameras with the larger LCD screen would fix this. On sunny days, I can shoot off hand with full zoom (24x with camera) and get reasonably clear shots. Using a tripod yields the best shots.
Ringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 10:26 PM   #6

Canon makes one specifically for your camera, theCanon TC-DC52B 52mm 1.6x Teleconverter. It is not a 3x, but it is lightweight and will add 60% to your current zoom.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=319751&is=REG
trooplewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 5:02 AM   #7

I know about that 1.6x Canon, but for the amount of tele it offers, it is WAY overpriced, AND I'm looking to at LEAST match the camera's digital zoom with optical.