Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Apr 23, 2005, 8:36 PM   #1

I've always been doing crazy experiments on my digicams and the last partially successful one was adding lenses to get a 5x optical zoom digicam out of a 3x optical HP digicam.

Now, I'm going to make for my CanonIxus 700:

1. An add-on lens mount

2. A telephoto lens to boost the focal length by 2.5x

Desired focal lengths (35mm equi) -> Wideangle: Approx 92.5mm, telephoto: Approx 277.5mm

3. Wideangle conversion to bring down focal length to 0.6x

Desired focal lengths (35mm equi) -> Wideangle: Approx 22.2mm, telephoto: Approx 66.6mm

4. Exceptional super-telephoto lens to boost focal length by a dazzling 4.2x:?

Desired focal lengths (35mm equi) -> Wideangle: Approx 155.4mm, telephoto: Approx 466.2mm

5. The ability to combine the wideangle and supertelephoto lenses to create an ultra-zoom Ixus 700.

Creating all of above will take about a month +/- a week. Note that this is not posing any risk to the camera unlike my last digicam mod:-)but it will take a few trial-and -error attempts.

Dopost any comments/suggestions for my digicam mod. I'll post pictures of the lenses mounted to my Ixus 700 plus pictures taken before/after putting on the lenses.
Ixus 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2005, 1:36 AM   #2

Would it be possible to do something similar with an S1? (making a lens adapter - preferably the telephoto end, and preferably at LEAST 3.2x - 5x or 8x would be better). I don't need any more at the wide end - I'd need more megapixels that way - for example at wide now it's a 38mm lens - if I went with a 19mm lens, I'd need a 4096x3072 pixel sensor to capture the same detail, AND I'd want that new sensor to be as clean at ISO 400 as the current sensor is at ISO 50.)

But, being somewhat realistic, what would I need to do to create a teleconverter for my S1 IS that still allows fast shutter speeds at an optical telephoto AT LEAST as long as the camera's digital zoom is?

I was thinking about upgrading to the S2, but several factors are preventing me, including, but not limited to price (in relation to what I could sell my S1 for), lens is still 2 stops too slow, I would suspect it's still too noisy at ISO 400 (and it doesn't have ISO 1600 or faster), not enough wideangle, still not enough telephoto power (would be willing to have a somewhat slower lens at full tele though), and other things.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 3:27 AM   #3

pianoplayer88key wrote:
Quote:
Would it be possible to do something similar with an S1? (making a lens adapter - preferably the telephoto end, and preferably at LEAST 3.2x - 5x or 8x would be better). I don't need any more at the wide end - I'd need more megapixels that way - for example at wide now it's a 38mm lens - if I went with a 19mm lens, I'd need a 4096x3072 pixel sensor to capture the same detail, AND I'd want that new sensor to be as clean at ISO 400 as the current sensor is at ISO 50.)

But, being somewhat realistic, what would I need to do to create a teleconverter for my S1 IS that still allows fast shutter speeds at an optical telephoto AT LEAST as long as the camera's digital zoom is?

I was thinking about upgrading to the S2, but several factors are preventing me, including, but not limited to price (in relation to what I could sell my S1 for), lens is still 2 stops too slow, I would suspect it's still too noisy at ISO 400 (and it doesn't have ISO 1600 or faster), not enough wideangle, still not enough telephoto power (would be willing to have a somewhat slower lens at full tele though), and other things.
Getting a new sensor would require modifying and possibly re-building the whole camera. I may consider building a camera after I make those lenses.

Yes, it is possible to do that with the S1. In fact, even easier since the S1 IS has a lens thread and ready made Canon conversion lens adapter. To get the S1 IS's maximum telephoto focal length at wide angle aperture would require a massive 10x conversion lens. Or even a 30x super telephoto lens if you want to include the digital zoom factor (Replace digital with optical zoom).

I have an S1 IS also and I'll try to buildthelens you're talking about.
Ixus 700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:25 AM   #4

let me know what the results are.
I'd like to make my own teleconverter for an S1, and the 1.6x canon doesn't have enough magnification, the 3x's I've seen on ebay are almost barely enough for my minimum specs, and the 8x Crystalvue is way too expensive (as are the rest of them). I have a 2x off-brand TC that came with an A80 I purchased on ebay a while back, but it doesn't work with my S1.
pianoplayer88key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2005, 6:01 AM   #5

You guys make your own tele converters? What do you do? Grind your own lenses from old bottle bottoms? :?
meow is offline   Reply With Quote