Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old May 23, 2005, 8:31 PM   #11

thanks lucky...I agree its overkill!!

I think I've decided on the TCON-17.

AnxietyRiddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 7:09 PM   #12

I am also looking for a tele converter. I found something on ebay it's a TOKINA 3X they say it's better than TCON 17. I am wondering if anyone have heard of these tele converters. Is it worth it or not? The only difference I see is the one I saw is 3x compared to the TCON it's a 1.7x have a look:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...78117&rd=1

I admit I don't know much about lenses and that is why I'd be curious to know your opinion: is this converter worth 100$?
good.friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 1:43 AM   #13

AnxietyRiddin,

I usedthe discontinued Olympus B300, which has been rebadged and is being sold now as the TCON-17, on a Minolta Dimage 7 and Panasonic FZ10 with excellent results.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2005, 1:58 AM   #14

good.friend,

It appears that the Tokina 3x converter was originally made for use with video camcorders which have much lower resolution than most digital still cameras. Unfortunately, many such converters are now being marketed for use with digicams. I haven't seen one yet that provides results that I consider acceptable.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 12:17 AM   #15

Check the thread size for your camera or adapter. Some of the lenses are a 52 mm instead of a 55 mm lens and will cause vignetting even at near full zoom. Vignetting is the inside of the tele lens shows up on the photo as a round or nearly round shadow in the photo.

Dawg

A couple more shots using the Kodak DX6490 and the TCON-17 teleconverter lens.
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 12:28 AM   #16

And zooming in you get this. Not a good place to try napping though.

Da Dawg
Attached Images

Old Jun 7, 2005, 9:12 AM   #17

Or you can go from this...
Attached Images

Old Jun 7, 2005, 9:25 AM   #18

By removing the TCON-17 teleconverter and adding a Schnieder wide angle lens then zoom back to wide angle, you get this.
Attached Images

Old Jun 11, 2005, 8:04 AM   #19

andrecastro wrote:
Quote:
:?

i have an hp photosmart r707 at some time, the problem is that the camera is only 3x of optical zoom and i need more.is it possible to add more zoom with add-on lens. what kind of material do i need?

Please help!

Hi Andrecastro - may I suggest you take a look at the site www.photosolve.com This is a very interesting site and I'm sure they can accommodate you with your requirements.

Herman
hauer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 1:32 AM   #20

It is possible to connect a large format copy lens (4"+) used inold photo copy machines to a digital camera in a AFOCAL system. This is radical aproach, your digital camera will take on a hubble effect and yield enlargements 30x to 150x. A camera system like this requires experimentation and would only be suitable for observing incredable detail at extreme distances. The largest diameter lens, with a large focol length will yield the maximum results. If you are intrested in the theory, put your digital camera on a tripod, then focus it on the eyepice of a telescope. Building a system like this is not expensive as old copy lens are obsolete,it just takes building a coupling system to your camera. I have experimented with a olympus 7000 at max zoom of 30x ( optical + digital) the results are poor. Connect this camera to a 4" goretz, or Nikon and the results are unbeliveable.
harold duncan is offline   Reply With Quote