Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Apr 29, 2005, 1:00 PM   #1

As a broke novice, I think it is time to expand the capabilities of my Fuji Finepix S3100. I would like to get a 2x telephoto lens and a UV filter, however I do not know exactly which ones will be compatible with my camera. Fuji offers a 1.5x telephoto ad-on, but I don't think 1.5x is worth $140. So, I know to stay away from the Digital Optics stuff, but I have no idea what else will work. Will any 55mm 2x lens work, or do I need to get a specific one? The same holds true for the filter. Will any old UV filter work? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks
ccitroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2005, 7:42 AM   #2

I learned through experience that you have to match adapter lens and your camera's lens. Do not buy anything that you can't check in person at your dealer, or can find full-size image files on the Internet.

My lesson cost me only $15 - boughta Raynox wide angle for my Kodak cam, then found it wouldn't work. Oddly enough, a cheaper Kodak adapter lens works beautifully... so I sold the Raynox on ebay for a $15 loss. (Notethatonline images showed that the adapter was a good one.)

Raynox has pages w/pix forthe Fuji FInepix S3000/S304/3800 cameras -- if the S3100 has the same lens, these pix would work as comparison - http://raynox.co.jp/english/digital/fp3800/index.htm

Check for chromatic abberation (orange, green or purple fringing) and for focus sharpness at the corners and center. For tele, most adapter/converters will work only when the camera is fully zoomed out.

As for the UV - as long as it's flat (i.e., doesn't inject any distortion), any UV would work. Personally, I'd spend a bit more and go name-brand (Tiffen, Hoya, Cokin) and from a well-respected dealer.
DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 10:30 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. Things are looking up.
ccitroen is offline   Reply With Quote