Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Dec 26, 2002, 1:03 AM   #1

Default olympus c730 with a 2x telephoto add on ?

:?: does anyone on here have a c730 with a 2x or 2.5 x telephoto add on ? if so how well does it work ? i just bought a c730 and it's not even here yet but i will be taking pics at the drag races from about 600 ft away , that is why i needed the 10x optical but i will need more . the digital movie cam we have is an 18x optical zoom and i took stills with it . the cars size was fine but it was so low of a resolution that it didn't look good . the 10x plus a 2x will be about right :idea: , i just want to know if any of you have done this ? any help is appreciated . ted evans , ravenna, mich. :?: :?:
madcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2002, 7:33 AM   #2

Madcow
Try this web site for an additional telephoto lens:
www.raynox.com

Call the folks at www.2filters.com they will provide you with prices of the lens and the adapter that will be required.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2002, 11:52 AM   #3

Default anyone tried this ?

gibson, thanks for the info , i did go look at the lenses you mentioned . the main thing i was hoping to find was someone who has done this and how well it worked ? i know they make the lenses and adapters but i haven't seen a test or samples with a 2x added on to the 10x optical of the olympus c730 . i was looking through steve's reveiws and didn't see any add ons on the c730 . it is an odd request but i was hoping to find out how it works without having to go buy it all . ted
Old Dec 26, 2002, 1:30 PM   #4

A lot depends on the quality you expect. My suggestion would be to find an Olympus B-300 1.7x (actually it tests to slightly more than 1.7x) which has the finest quality available at that focal length.

The Raynox telephoto lenses are, in my experience, simply an O.K. lens, but far beneath the B-300 in quality of optics.

There really isn't a good 2x which will work with your camera. The next lens up the ladder which is very expensive, but "can" be used is the Olympus TCON-300 3x. It will require that you fabricate an adapter to hold the camera and tele adapter in close proximity - about .020. The lens will cost you over $450 and must be focused independently of the camera. If you have a machine shop build an adapter it will cost you around $100 in materials and time.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2002, 2:00 PM   #5

Default b-300 for my c730

thanks lin ,i saw some pics you did on a page , i remembered it because we share the same last name . i'll do some looking and see what i can find in the b300 lens . does anyone out there have a good place to find them and any clue on the cost of one ? i'll go look around on the net . ted evans
Old Dec 26, 2002, 2:25 PM   #6

I believe Eagle Eye in the U.K. (they sell into the U.S. as well) still has some. Try this link - click on "Rest of the World", "products" then "lenses" and scroll down....

Lin

http://www.eagleeyeuk.com/
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2002, 2:43 PM   #7

Default b-300 1.7x

thanks again lin , i emailed them and i'll see what they have .i have friends in the u.k. and i'll see if they get a better deal on it than we can here ? ted
Old Jan 4, 2003, 2:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Evans
A lot depends on the quality you expect. My suggestion would be to find an Olympus B-300 1.7x (actually it tests to slightly more than 1.7x) which has the finest quality available at that focal length.

The Raynox telephoto lenses are, in my experience, simply an O.K. lens, but far beneath the B-300 in quality of optics.

There really isn't a good 2x which will work with your camera. The next lens up the ladder which is very expensive, but "can" be used is the Olympus TCON-300 3x. It will require that you fabricate an adapter to hold the camera and tele adapter in close proximity - about .020. The lens will cost you over $450 and must be focused independently of the camera. If you have a machine shop build an adapter it will cost you around $100 in materials and time.

this post by Lynn Evans is one of many by him on lens, you my try to find out if will work with yours. if you get a reply from him you will be in good shape.
Gary

Best regards,

Lin
Gary Senkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2003, 5:08 PM   #9

i have my olympus c730uz camera now , but just learning with it . i am impressed with the 10x zoom . i did find the b300 on ebay and bought it . as soon as i get it and try it , i'll let you all know how it does . thanks for the tips ! ted evans
Old Jan 27, 2003, 6:53 PM   #10

Hi.
I use several lenses on my C-730. I have a Oly CLA-4 adaptor (46.5mm to 55mm) which allows me to use standard 55mm filters or lenses with 55mm or greater with adaptor rings. I have a really handy double-ended lens, made by COLOURTECH (probably long gone) which is either a 1.5X teleconverter, or just by turning it round, it becomes a 0.6X wide angle lens. It has 58mm male threads both ends. This of coures only gave me 15X optical, so I was still looking for another lens, and then I lucked out! I found a fantastic quality Olympus VF-KL2 1.5X teleconverter lens with a 58mm thread and 77mm filter thread (77mm is a standard filter size) for just 21 in a Cash Converter shop! With a special adaptor that came with the colourtech I can screw them together and voila!...a 2X teleconverter. The Picture quality is ok with this setup but, for quality pictures, I prefer to use the VF-KL2 on its own. I also use a Sunagor 0.42X semi fish-eye for wide angle shots. It has a series Vll fitting (54mm thread) so I use a step up ring to 55mm. I also use a Jessops +4 closeup filter (lens) for taking pin- sharp portaits. The detail is amazing and for only 11 you can't complain. Also very usefull is a 55mm circular polorizer, if you have never used one you have really got to get one to apreciate it. Then theres the trusty 55mm UV filter. I am currently experimenting with a low vignetting (wide angle view) adapter for my 3" refracting telescope.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote