Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old May 16, 2005, 8:57 PM   #1

does stacking these 2 filters degrade image quality? do any of you guys do this?

thanks!
junji98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2005, 11:25 AM   #2

The technical answer is "YES" it will degrade image quality. Anything you add to the lense (teleconverter, filter) will degrade image quality because it is one more 'thing' light must pass through and every time light passes through glass or plastic some of it is lost.

In reality, however, if both filters are high quality most people will not notice the difference - especially if you're not looking at the 100% image size. I use high quality UV filters on all my lenses for my Canon 20D. When I use a CP (a multi-coated Pro-1 from Hoya) I put it right over the UV filter. I'm sure someone inspecting 100% crops could find a difference between my photos captured under that circumstance and photos I captured without stacking the filters. But, on the couple occasions I took test shots with and without stacking I couldn't see a difference. So I would advise doing the same test - if the results are good enough for you then by all means stack (it saves time) - if you notice an unacceptable difference then don't stack.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 5:12 PM   #3

ok thanks man
junji98 is offline   Reply With Quote