Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 31, 2005, 1:42 AM   #11

Many digital cameras can see Infra red, to check your camera, just point a remote control at it, hold a button down on the remote, and look at what is shown on the lcd preview of the camera.

If you see a flashing light coming from the remote control, then your camera can see in the infra red spectrum.

Many people have had good results "seeing" through certain clothing with cameras like this, with a decent filter attached. Never tried it myself, but wouldnt mind trying it a cheap filter turned up.

Some cameras have a ir filter that totally blocks IR over the ccd, often cctv cameras have them, but some digital photo cameras do also, it is possible to sometimes remove these, but I would not like to try!
kensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:52 PM   #12

Here are a few videos I've takenusing aSony Nightshot camcorder (DCR-TRV140) and an IR Filter. The links below are to YouTube. Choose 'Watch in high quality'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ11RGqTSPs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RsIr-MaDF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rdkAfX3vsg

Bought my irfilter at www.xtremefilters.com
CaptainJazzbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:02 AM   #13

An IR filter isn't actually an X-Ray filter. An IR filter will show minor temerature variations. What you see with an IR filter is the difference in the temperature between a portion of clothing that covers an undergarment, and a portion of clothing that covers skin. What you see is the the temperature difference, not the actual undergarments.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2008, 2:49 PM   #14

TCav wrote:
Quote:
An IR filter isn't actually an X-Ray filter. An IR filter will show minor temerature variations. What you see with an IR filter is the difference in the temperature between a portion of clothing that covers an undergarment, and a portion of clothing that covers skin. What you see is the the temperature difference, not the actual undergarments.
Consumer cameras with a "night shot" capability are capturing reflected IR not radiated IR. Filtersdesigned for IR photography block the visible spectrum while passing at least part of the IR spectrum, again reflected IR.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote