Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jul 16, 2005, 11:47 PM   #11

HI, thank you for the reply!! I want to build a camera like yours out of mine and I think I'm going to follow on your steps and buy the same accessories you bought. Do you have any more pictures with this new camera setting?????????? [email protected]@:|

I have some other questions:

Why did you chose this lens in particular????

This one is technical: When you have that f/1.4 aperture in your lens does it means that you can shoot images with a magnification ratio of 1:4, does the aperture of the lens afects magnification?
microfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 3:45 PM   #12

Hello Microfreak,

Here are some more photos that I took recently using the reverse lens macro technique. I'm still getting some practice as the combination is extremely prone to movement. It not only requires a steady hand (haven't used the tripod) but nature must play its fair part too (wind and insect movement).

I chose the Pentax lens due to it light sensitivity. The Sony Cybershot DSC-S85 itself has a very light sensitive Carl Zeiss lens (f/2 to f/8. With those specifications, I definitely wanted a very light sensitive lens. The quality is very good of the Pentax lens.If you look on Ebay (that is where I got mine) you will find that they are generally snapped up at anywhere between50 and 80 US Dollars. Similar Canon FD lenses are sold for lower prices. I presume there must be a reason for this.....

Regarding your technical question..... to be honest I don't know. Perhaps one of the many other forum readers can advise you on this issue. Till now I have set the manual aperture setting to f/1,4 and the focus to infinite. The camera setting is aperture priority f/8. Shutter speed of photos didplayed was around 1/250 subject to lighting conditions. I believe a lower shutter speed would be more beneficial to DOF but with handheld shots that is going to be a major, major challenge.

Definitely worth the investment / challenge!

Cheers - Herman
Attached Images

hauer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 3:47 PM   #13

and another......
Attached Images

Old Jul 21, 2005, 9:47 PM   #14

THANK YOU! Beautiful photos! I want to ask you..did you use any type of closeup filters to take these shots or was it the reverse Pentax lens plain? Does this lens really lets in that much light so one can be able to take photos at faster shutter speeds in dark settings? (my camera has apertures f2.2-f8) I don't likehard flash in my photos so I find myself using the slowest shutter speeds in low light, but my hands shake a lot when I press the shutter...I'm still practicing.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Also, where did you buy the Pentax bayonet (the one removed fronm old pentax camera)?? I can't seem to find any when I do the search on Ebay. If you could help me..please. This will be crucial to decide myself if I buy the lens or not, if I find the bayonet. Another question: Why did you chose to go with the reverse lens mount technique?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Thank you again for any answers!
Old Jul 23, 2005, 2:51 AM   #15

Hello Microfreak - though my reverse lens setup has the capability for additional lenses, etc, they were not mounted for anyof the above photos. As I'm still having to get used to the technique, I will refrain from doing so until I have got used to it. As it is, the magnification is already significant and the more that is applied, the more prone it will be to movement (and lighting conditions). I did have a B&W UV filter (MRC) F-PRO attached which was done with the aim of protecting the Pentax lens from dirt and scratches. I always tend to leave this filter type on any lens I use.

Regarding the lighting conditions..... the way I see it is that because the Pentax lens offers an aperture value of f/1.4 it causes no impact on my original camera lens f/2 capability. You therefore don't have a bottle-neck effect if you want some sort of comparison.The light sensitivity of the lens will offer benefits but remember no more than your original camera lens is able to offer. At least that is how I understand it to be.

A fellow forum reader kindly supplied me with the Pentax bayonet. It was indeed removed from an obsolete Pentax camera. There should be plenty of these around. Perhaps obtainable from some second-hand camera shops? Presume Ebay to be a difficult source for this unless you can pick up a complete (malfunctioning?) Pentax SLR camera. Tip - nothing to stop you from asking fellow readers on the various forums! There must be plenty of them lying around.

I wanted to try this technique as I had read much about it on the Internet and have viewed some wonderful websites.

Hope the above info is of use.

Cheers - Herman
Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:26 PM   #16

I thank you hauer54 for your replies, I'll keep on the research and try to find websites that talk about reverse techniques and results with that lens in special, I would like to know how much magnification this lens, reverse mounted will get me. If it is more than 1:1...mmmm, I'll consider buying it. I was also considering to buy it because of the wide aperture and the possibility that this will help me when shooting at night, but you said that it doesn't make the much difference so I don't know now....

I have a question, this insects, are they really small? Does this lens really gave you that much magnification?

Thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2005, 5:14 PM   #17

microfreak wrote:
Quote:
I thank you hauer54 for your replies, I'll keep on the research and try to find websites that talk about reverse techniques and results with that lens in special, I would like to know how much magnification this lens, reverse mounted will get me. If it is more than 1:1...mmmm, I'll consider buying it. I was also considering to buy it because of the wide aperture and the possibility that this will help me when shooting at night, but you said that it doesn't make the much difference so I don't know now....

I have a question, this insects, are they really small? Does this lens really gave you that much magnification?

Thanks!
Quote:
Hi Microfreak - here is aphoto of some ants. Unfortunately, the photo was taken in windy conditions, far from ideal when using a reverse lens. Judge the magnification for yourself. I'm personally very pleased withthe technique and by putting the lens together like I did, you stil have the option of adding i.e.a 10x macro filter and / or 2x teleconverter.
Quote:
Here is a selection of interesting websites:
Quote:
Cheers - Herman
Quote:
Attached Images

Old Aug 20, 2005, 4:55 PM   #18

Hope this thread is still being watched by Herman. How far away were you from the subject.

Thanks
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 11:41 AM   #19

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
Hope this thread is still being watched by Herman. How far away were you from the subject.

Thanks

Hi NLP239 - Extremely close (all within a few centimeters). In fact, I pushed my lens too close to an insect at one stage and it sprayed my lens! The big issue is having sufficient light, a steady hand and preferably no wind. Here's a recent photo that I took at a ISO 200 setting due to lack of sufficient light.

Cheers - Herman
Attached Images

Old Aug 25, 2005, 2:14 PM   #20

Wow! Thanks for the reply. Some day, when I'm not dreaming I might give this a try.

Thanks for sharring and for keeping us updated with your technique and work.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote