Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jun 5, 2005, 12:17 PM   #1

Hi - I recently purchased a Pentax SMC 50mm M 1.4 lens which I intend to use reversed mounted in combination with my Sony's DSC-S85 adapter tube using a 52 / 49mm reverse ring. As I would like to mount filters and/or 2x teleconverter onto the Bayonet side of the Pentax lens, does anyone know of a gadget that fits over the bare bayonet part of the lens and offers a female thread?

Advise appreciated. Thank you!

Herman

Gallery: http://www.phototalk.net/photos/show...00/ppuser/1465

hauer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2005, 2:10 AM   #2

Hi there,

I would get an old PENTAX SLR body(I have several), unscrew the bajonet ring and glue it to an empty filter ring of a suitable diameter, say 58 mm.

I have done similar things to make conversion rings for filters of different diameters and a pinhole attachment for my PENTAX SLR.

Good luck

Manfred
Manfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 4:20 AM   #3

Hi Manfred - sound like a great idea! :idea:

Thank you for the tip!!!

Cheers,

Herman

Old Jun 12, 2005, 12:10 PM   #4

Manfred wrote:
Quote:
Hi there,

I would get an old PENTAX SLR body (I have several), unscrew the bajonet ring and glue it to an empty filter ring of a suitable diameter, say 58 mm.

I have done similar things to make conversion rings for filters of different diameters and a pinhole attachment for my PENTAX SLR.

Good luck

Manfred

Thank you, Manfred!

I will take photos of the various parts used (as soon as I have them all) and at the various stages.

Cheers,

Herman

Old Jun 18, 2005, 2:13 AM   #5

Hi - for those interested in a similar reverse lens set-up as mine, I think that I now have a suitable solution (with thanks to Manfred for sharing his idea).

The following components:

1. Bayonet ring which has been removed from an "old" Pentax camera (thanks, Manfred!)

2. Tiffen 58/52mm step-down ring (52mm as this best suites my camera type)

3. Filter ring 52mm with glass removed

As Manfred had previously indicated thefirst mentioned ring (can also be a standard 58mm filter ring without the glass) is glued to the bayonet that was removed from the "old" Pentax camera.

Due to the protruding section of thereversed PentaxSMC 50mm M 1.4 lens,the height of the (in my case) step-up ring needs to be increased prior to being able to mount further attachments.Therefore another ring is screwed onto the glued ring.

After mounting both ringsit is possible to attach anything you want i.e. filters, teleconverter, futher close-up lenses,etc.

As soon asI am able to attach the reversed lens to my camera with a reverse ring (still on order), I will upload a photo of the whole set-up.

Can't wait to experiment withreversed lens macro techniques!

Hope to above information is of use.

Cheers,

Herman

PS. Here is a photo of the revised "rear-end" of the lens which for reversed lens macro purposes serves as the "front-end".

Attached Images

Old Jul 2, 2005, 2:58 PM   #6

Hi - the reverse lens coupler ring saga continues..... I've been looking everywhere in Holland for this item but..... to no avail. My local dealer said he could order it ..... so I waited...... and waited and three weeks later ,I was informed that it had arrived. What a disaster...... it was the wrong item. I then did an attempt to contact some well known camera shops (on-line and actual shops) but to no avail. I just gave up!

One smart camera dealer gave me the tip to glue two filters together (49mm) and (52mm) in opposite directions. Its is asolution but in this case not one that I had in mind!

I ended up ordering it fom the grand 'ol USA. B&H in New York to be exact. Good reliable service and the guys know exactly what I'm going on about. Seems retailers in Holland are keen to sell cameras and in some cases lenses but apparently that is as far as it goes! Pity!

Should have the "correct" coupler ring soon!

Cheers,

Herman

Old Jul 5, 2005, 1:47 PM   #7

Hi - well I have finally got everything together. B&H provided excellent service and I received my 52/49mm macro coupler ring today. I had simultaneously also ordered a Sto-Fen Omni-Bounce for my flash (Sony HVL-F1000) as I read in articles that this is recommended for using the flash at close distance.

Now to take some photos......!

Hope this info has been of some use to those with similar interests!

Cheers - Herman
Attached Images

Old Jul 10, 2005, 9:33 AM   #8

Hi there - one of my first attempts today at reverse lens macro photography using the setup as described above. Guess I still need a lot of practise but there is nothing nices than having a good challenge.

Cheers - Herman
Attached Images

Old Jul 12, 2005, 6:07 PM   #9

WOW, BEAUTIFUL PHOTO! CONGRATULATIONS! What is the model of the lens you are using in front of the pentax lens (the one in the photo?). I would like to be able to take photos this close some day.Is it a manual focus lens (for SLR cameras)? I see it has the familiar numbers around the front end to measure the focus, right?

I'm doing research to know what is the best solution for macro photography. Right now, I'm waiting for a set of closeup lens, lens-hood,filters and a VAD-S7052mm adapter for my Sony Mavica CD-500. I'll probably post some photos when I get all my merchandise in the mail very soon. If you have any advice for my I would appreciate it. The Mavica has a 45mm lens thread in which I will attach the 45-52mm VAD-S70 adapter.
microfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 4:11 PM   #10

Hello Microfreak,

I use the same adapter tube (VAD-S70 (b)=black edition)on my camera offering a 52mm fitting. I then attach a 52/49mm macro coupler ring (obtained on-line through B&H Photo Video, New York). As I now have a 49mm male thread, I can attach my Pentax 50mm SMC f1.4 lens in reversed order. This lens has a 49mm filter thread. Obtained mine via Ebay. Note the f1.4 edition as this is very important in respect of light sensitivity.At this stage this setup is sufficient to takemacro shots. However, you may want to go a step further and like me create a possibility to attach further lenses, filters, etc onto the rear end (now front section of the reversed lens). I managed to pick up acamera bayonet ring (thanks to one of the forum readers!) which was removed from an old Pentax SLR camera. Using two-component glue I attached a Tiffen 58/52mm step-down ring. Due to a protruding obstacle on the Pentax lens, I required more height thanwhat the Tiffen step-down ring offered and therefore added another 52mm ring onto the step-down ring. I used a previously broken UV filter for this purpose. Afterattaching this ring, I had sufficient space to safely attach a magnitude of accessories i.e. UV filter, 10x close-up filter, 2x teleconverter, etc. I chose 52mm as all my previous filters, lenses, etc had been based on a 52mm diameter. What is important is the 58mm diameter of the step-down ring as this is the same actual diameter as that of the Pentax bayonet ring (you want to have ample surface area to glue the components together).

When attached the lens is set to its widest aperture setting being f1.4 and the focus is set to infinity. When taking the above two photos, I also set my camera in aperture priority mode f8 being the maximum for my camera type. Having sufficient light (and a steady hand) is crucial for decent results. The shutter speed used was 1/500 and 1/320 respectively. I have had some tips to try 1/200 so as to obtain more DOF.

Hope the abovemakes sense.It certainly offers a new array of opportunities. In the meantime I hope to get more practice and..... challenges!

Good luck!

Cheers - Herman