Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jun 18, 2005, 2:14 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm new to digital camera and I've a Panasonic FZ-20. I'm searching for a UV filter to protect my lens. I found a HOYA 72mm UV(N) HMC (Multi-Coated) Haze Glass Filter at an online store. I cannot understand whether I should buy a UV(0) filter or a UV(N) filter for my digicam. What is the difference between UV(0) and UV(n) filters? Can anybody please help me. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Sandy
Sandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2005, 5:42 PM   #2

I don't know the answer to your questions about filters, but I've been using a Panasonic FZ-15 since December and I've noticed a small amount of vingenting at the bottom of the photo when using the stock adaptor tube supplied with the camera and flash.You may want to use the camera with the tube attached, no filter for a while to see if you have the same problem.¬*I'm switching to a shorter¬* adaptor with only a 52mm outer ring.¬*Best of luck.¬*Geno
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 3:22 AM   #3

Hi Sandix - unfortunately I'm not aware of the differences between the UV filters that you mentioned. I have always made use of a B+W UV filter which is not only used in respect of hazy conditions but serves to protect my original camera lens as well. My first B+W UV filter was standard glass but since a couple of months, I am using a multi resistant coated (mrc) version which is more capable of offering crisp colours (B+W UV010 MRC F-Pro). Obviously, there is a price difference between the two ( nearly double the price of the standard UV filter) but as its a filter that you would normally always have mounted, I consider it a worthwhile investment. This may possibly be the difference between the Hoya filters that you have been interested in.

Hope this sheds a bit of light in the right direction.....

Good luck!

Herman

PS. A circular polarizer filter is definitely also a "must have"!

hauer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2005, 3:23 AM   #4

Hi Sandix - unfortunately I'm not aware of the differences between the UV filters that you mentioned. I have always made use of a B+W UV filter which is not only used in respect of hazy conditions but serves to protect my original camera lens as well. My first B+W UV filter was standard glass but since a couple of months, I am using a multi resistant coated (mrc) version which is more capable of offering crisp colours (B+W UV010 MRC F-Pro). Obviously, there is a price difference between the two ( nearly double the price of the standard UV filter) but as its a filter that you would normally always have mounted, I consider it a worthwhile investment. This may possibly be the difference between the Hoya filters that you have been interested in.

Hope this sheds a bit of light in the right direction.....

Good luck!

Herman

PS. A circular polarizer filter is definitely also a "must have"!

hauer54 is offline   Reply With Quote