Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jul 4, 2005, 3:50 AM   #11

"I'm just saying that some of the older better made Video Tele Converters are
better than most of the cheap Digital Camera Tele Conveters being sold today"

Agreed. I believe the Sony VCL-HGD1758 was originally developed for use on Sony camcorders.

"Sony stuff is good, but not all of us can afford Sony
as well as other name brand lenses"

Agreed again. Sony stuff is usually expensive. Another reason that I suspect the Sony VCL-R2052, although fine for camcorders, might not have the optical resolution to work well on the Mavica CD-500 and other digicams is that aused VCL-R2052 only commands about one fourth of the price that a used VCL-HGD1758 will bring. The VCL-HGD1758 is indeed unaffordable for many. The only reason I have one is that I bought a Sony F707 with lots of accessories at a bargain price. I then sold the camera and many of the extras separately for about what I had paid for the whole setup leaving me with the VCL-HGD1758 teleconverter as a freebie. At one time, I owned a Minolta Dimage 7. It was a very "finicky" camera when it came to the use of teleconverters. When I owned it, only two teleconverters, the Olympus B300 and Sony VCL-HGD1758, had been shown to work well with it. The Sony sold for over $200, and the Olympus sold for about $100. I bought the B300. I could have bought other teleconverters for less that were being sold for use on the Dimage 7; however, research indicated they would not work well with it. The only thing I am suggesting to microfreak is tocheck outany teleconverter he is considering to see if he will be satisfied with the results it yields on his camera. I'm pretty sure the Sony VCL-R2052 isn't as high quality as the Sony VCL-HGD1758 or Olympus TCON-17. Isuspect it might not work well on the CD-500, but I could be totally wrong.

lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 8:27 AM   #12

<B>microfreak</b>
Dont give up
you wil find one
you found those that I had not seen
I think my next one just might be a Kenko
have read good reviews about their lenses

TechJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2005, 11:03 AM   #13

I think I'm gonna stay away from those "cheap" lens kits that I've seen advertised on eBay. I've heard some pretty good things about the Raynox lenses though. For the Dimage Z5, I can get the Raynox DCR-6600PRO PRO Wide-angle Conversion Lens and Raynox HD-2200PRO LE 2.2x Telephoto Lens (Black) at Etronics for $225. The two necessary adapters are available on eBay for $28. I guess that's not too bad although it's strange to be spending the same for lenses as I did for the camera...
- The Merg

--
Today's problems don't worry me,
I haven't solved yesterday's yet.
The Merg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 1:33 PM   #14

Those are still tooo expensive for me...you see I'm looknig for a bargain, but I want something good. I'll keep looking I know the right tele lens is out there, waiting for me...sniff. Anyways, thanks for the advice on the lenses guys.

I have keep on the research and I found out this tele lens (Sony VCL-ES20A) :

Ebay search: http://search.ebay.com/SONY-VCL-ES20...0AQ20NEWQ20Q20

CLICK PHOTO:http://www.sony.com.mx/assets/resour.../VCL-ES20A.jpg

I also read somewhere that it wasn't recomended for flash photography (do a search on it in google and write flash photography, you'll see):

http://www.business-supply.com/elect...rter-tele.html

Does this mean that I can't use the flash that came with the camera with this tele adapter or simply that I can't use an additional flash with it? (the one's you can connect in the "hotshoe" of the camera) Please help! :O

Thanks in advance!!!

P.S to lucky2505: I'm a she not a he. jeje:G: See my photo here:

Attached Images

microfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 3:03 PM   #15

nice pic
I found that one too and am watching it also
just wonder what the Reserve is

Old Jul 5, 2005, 5:54 PM   #16

Thanks TechJD! 8)

Hey you said that you where watching it too? Have you found any info about what I asked ( "Not recomended for flash photography?). What does that mean? That I won't be able to take photos with flash?? I'm so confused!

IF ANYONE HAS EXPERIENCE WITH THIS LENS OR IS AN EXPERT IN THE THEME OF FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY PLEASE REPLY! thANks!!

:-D
microfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2005, 7:01 PM   #17

I think the reason they say that is it's a clipon
and like clipon caps you have to give them a little turn
afterward to make them tight, I'd say if it isnt tight it will let light in with a flash
I cant find anything on Sonys site about it 9 like they quit making it or something)
the Buy It Now price isnt really any better than buyin from a store

heres the Kenko I'm thinking about

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...W&tc=photo
the KVC-20 is for Video but the KVC-20II is rated for Digital Imaging also
he says the boxes reads
KVC-20 but the lens in the box reads KVC-20II

I called about the Merkury and the guy says he has never had that complaint
about the lens before so maybe I got a bad one
sending this one back and getting replacment
if it isnt any good then I'll have to try and get my money back
(I'll give any one the benifet of dought once)
will let you know the out come
Old Jul 5, 2005, 8:37 PM   #18

That Kenko lens is pretty inexpensive. Also, I tried to do some checking around on them, but could not find a home page for them. Considering today's technological world that we live in, I find it hard to trust any manufacturer of digital items that does not have an easily accessible web site. And even though kenko.com is in a foreign language, I'm gonna guess that my instincts are correct when I say that's not the site we want.

And speaking of web sites, try to find sites for Merkury Optics, Digital Optics, Crystal Optics, and Titanium Optics. I think that Digital is actually under Sakar, but their site is not very detailed on their products. I also find it strange that many of those lens kits for sale on eBay do not have any specs on the lens they are selling, including the manufacturer of the lens. Hmmm.....

Just food for thought...

- The Merg

--
The Merg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 2:17 AM   #19

If you are looking for a bargain, why not buy a used quality lens instead of a new cheapo? Just a thought. :|
meow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 3:59 AM   #20

The Merg wrote:
Quote:
That Kenko lens is pretty inexpensive. Also, I tried to do some checking around on them, but could not find a home page for them. Considering today's technological world that we live in, I find it hard to trust any manufacturer of digital items that does not have an easily accessible web site. And even though kenko.com is in a foreign language, I'm gonna guess that my instincts are correct when I say that's not the site we want.

And speaking of web sites, try to find sites for Merkury Optics, Digital Optics, Crystal Optics, and Titanium Optics. I think that Digital is actually under Sakar, but their site is not very detailed on their products. I also find it strange that many of those lens kits for sale on eBay do not have any specs on the lens they are selling, including the manufacturer of the lens. Hmmm.....

Just food for thought...

- The Merg

--
Kenko can be found here http://www.thkphoto.com/digital/dp-03.html

some arent puting out info
and some are
Toknia and Kenko are
these 2 started out makign lenses for the big names and then started puting out their own from what I have read

Meow
if I could find a good lens for a decent price that wasnt being ran up to higher than new prices I would
if I have a $1500 to $3000 Nikon or Cannon I wouldnt mind spending $200 to say $1000 for a lens, cause if I could afford a camera like that I could afford the lenses to go with it.

But my camera only cost about $300, so $150 to $200 for a lens is just too high for a Doubler.