Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jul 6, 2005, 8:53 PM   #21

Okay, I talked to Kenko and got a response regarding the use of the lenses on the Dimage Z5. I was told that as long as I have an adapter tube that allows 52mm lenses to be attached I can use their lenses and they listed out the compatible ones. I'm guessing that this means any digital that can accept 52mm lenses is good-to-go.

I have a follow-up question that I'm still waiting on an answer. I asked if they could recommendone of theirwide angle/teleconverter lens that has little vignetting, aberrations, or bowing. Hopefully, I won't get the standard corporate response of "All our lenses are of top quality blah blah blah..." I'll follow this response up when I get an answer.

- The Merg

--
Today's problems don't worry me,
I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

The Merg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:00 AM   #22

Got my follow-up response from Kenko support. They recommended the KNW-05 Pro-II for the wide-angle and the VC-200 HI for the teleconverter in order to minimize vignetting, aberrations, and bowing.

Also, they state that the difference between the standard and pro line of their lenses is that the standard has a single optical coating on the lens while the pro have a multiple coating on the lens.

Price wise, the recommended lenses from Kenko are about a combined $40 less than the Raynox lenses I mentioned earlier in this thread.

- The Merg

--
Today's problems don't worry me,
I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

The Merg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2005, 1:12 PM   #23

Nice follow through
thanks for the extra info

TechJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2005, 5:42 PM   #24

Hello again!

I have a question, maybe a little dumb but anyways....Does a SLR lens or a lens that requires manual focus can be adapted to a digital camera with the appropiatestep-up/down adapters?

Thanks in advance for the replies!:|

microfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 1:27 AM   #25

no it's not a dumb question
there are a few manual focus teleconverters
I have one it's a Tokina VC 5.5X maual focus

if you mean like a 70mm to 300mm zoom like for a Nikon or Cannon say
20D, I havent seen any, as the same thought crossed my mind
the screw on lenses for those type cameras are M42 mounts
which are 42mm

as a note I have attached a 650mm to 1300mm Zoom lens to mine
through another lens I have (took it apart and used back part)
talk about ZOOM ( we could only use it to 650mm) but it wasnt a good photo real soft focus and vingetting was real bad

hope this helps

TechJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 5:53 AM   #26

I bought one of the Merkury lenses on e-bay and was disappointed. I subsequently recently bought a Raynox lens and the difference is quite remarkable on my A200.

The Raynox wins hands down.

See: http://www.pbase.com/selvin/telephoto

The shots titled _____m.jpg were taken with the Merkury and the other with the Raynox. Click on the individual shots to see a brief commentary.

This was a very informal comparison but the results will undoubtedly hold up under more stringent tests. Note the severe vignetting with the Merkury. It is possible that the A200 was not able function properly with the Merkury since you will note the focus point is on a nearby roof. I could not get a clearly focussed picture using the Merkury on any object from 20 yards to about 150 yards.

I paid approximately $45 for the Merkury and about $110 for the Raynox. Not sure what I'll do with the Merkury now perhaps our local Salvation Army or a rather unusual paperweight.

Two of the comparison shots are shown below:

First the Merkury, lens fully extended to what should be about 360mm (35mm equivalent) at a house about 150 yards away.

Now the Raynox again fully extended to 300mmm (35mm equivalent) of the same object and the same distance both shots handheld.

selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 6:38 PM   #27

Hi,

if your camera is a Konica Minolta Z3/Z5, stay away from kenko KRT-20PRO.

If you have a Canon G2 or a Sony DSC-F707 (and 717) it could be a very good choice.

Please look at the following comparison among Z3 at 12x, Z3 at 24x (thanks to KRT-20PRO) and Z3 at 24x (thanks to its digital 2x)

Attached Images

pinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 6:46 PM   #28

And this is the comparison between Canon Powershot G2 with and without Kenko KRT-20PRO.

G2 is always at full zoom.

The result is very interesting and I can say the Kenko is really good for this camera (that doesn't belongs to me, I borrowed it just for testing Kenko)
Attached Images

pinok is offline   Reply With Quote