Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jan 9, 2003, 8:01 PM   #1

Default s602 lens

Hi, I just ordered a Finepix s602 camera for use on a trip to Paris next month, I would like some recommendations on a good filter kit for the camera ie:brand.. also any idea on which Tele/Wa lenses to look into. Im not trying to break the bank on these, would like somehting in the inbetween range.. I see alot of the Digital optics and Crystal Optics in the low price range and I assume they are low quality..

Thanks for your time..
GravY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2003, 8:03 AM   #2

GravY
Go to www.2filter.com. Call the folks at the web site and they will help you with your decisions.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2003, 3:06 PM   #3

You'll need a bigger cam bag as well to take the 602's extension tube. I assume you've bought that as well?

If you find anything that fits Fuji's lens thread when zoom is retracted - other than the lens cap, I'd be grateful if you let me know.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 7:13 AM   #4

My quick disclaimer...I don't own a 602 yet, but will very soon. (See sig below for details.)

I have done a lot of research and this is what the general consensus is. The WL&TL-FX9's are the best lenses for a reasonable price of $130-150 USD. Naturally, these lenses were specifically designed to be used with Fuji cameras.

If you can get your hands on a Olympus B-300, I'd say go for it, the image samples I've seen are excellent and offer 1.7x magnification vs 1.5x from Fuji's. Be prepared to shell out extra dough for it though. The B-300's are hard to find as they have been discontinued. Going price these days for the B-300 range from $218-250. When I do get my 602, I'll definitely be getting the B-300 if I can find one.

I've also seen mention of the Olympus WCON-08 wide angle converter, but haven't come across any samples of the WCON-08 used in conjunction with the s602z. The Olympus converter lenses are known to be heavy in comparison. They also don't come with an adapter tube, btw you'd need a 55mm-55mm extension tube.

As for filters, You should be fine with a UV/Skylight filter and Circular Polarizer. As Gibson mentioned, check out http://www.2filters.com or alternatively http://www.camerafilters.com . Camerafilters has a better layout that's easier to navigate and also has a brief description of the various filters with situation applications. You might want to look into getting a lens hood too, lens-flare-a-no-no. 8) A lot of people recommend leaving the adapter tube on with either a UV/Skylight filter to protect the s602's zoom lens from dust. If you do a lot of post processing in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, I wouldn't recommend getting special filters like diffusors/duto, centerspot. You could obviously recreate those effects in post. Here's a link to see samples of pics taken with filters attached: http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/index.html (scroll about 3/4 down the page).

One more thing I'd like to note, the lens cap that comes with s602 won't fit on the 55mm filter. So look into a 55mm lens cap as well. Camerafilters sells them cheap.

Okay I lied, one more thing hehe :lol:, check out: http://www.marius.org/fuji602faq.php#1 -- great FAQ list on the Fuji s602z covering suggested flashes, batteries, filters...etc.

Hopefully you'll be prepared enough for your trip to take excellent pictures. Have fun and be sure to share your pics when you come back from Paris!
Alakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 7:33 AM   #5

gibsonpd3620,

No offense, but do you work for 2filter.com or shop there frequently? I noticed from several threads in this forum, you seem to be a 2filter endorser.

I feel like buying something from them now, like subliminal advertising.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 9:12 AM   #6

No offense taken. They are on the east coast and I am as far west as you can go in Texas. I buy lens, filters, and adapters from them. When I find a reliable place to shop I pass it on. The folks at www.2filter.com have always treated me fair. Customer referrals is the best form of advertisement for a small company (or even a large company).
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 11:40 AM   #7
lg

I don't know if they will fit your camera, but my recommendations are the B-300 1.7x teleconverter and the WCON-08E .8x wide angle lens. I own the WCON-08E, and it has crystal clear and sharp optics. As soon as I can afford one, I'll buy the B-300-- I don't believe you will find better optics on a teleconverter than this one. Both have 55mm threads, in case you need an adapter. It took a 49-55mm step-up ring for my camera. I paid about $130 for the wide angle, and plan to spend no more than $200-220 on eBay for the B-300.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2003, 4:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
If you find anything that fits Fuji's lens thread when zoom is retracted - other than the lens cap, I'd be grateful if you let me know.
I just noticed this Vox, I wouldn't recommend attaching anything to the camera's thread. You could damage the zoom mechanism when the extending lens barrel goes out, the lens will hit the filter. :shock:

Always use the tube!
Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:49 AM   #9

Ahem.... The Fuji click on lens cap attached to the stringy thingy, fits the front of the extending zoom tube, either retracted or fully extended! So what we need are click on filters, same pattern, avoids fitting the tube. Can't see the weight of a filter being much different to a clip on cap.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2003, 2:23 PM   #10

Thanks for all the info guys, I will be looking it all over..
GravY is offline   Reply With Quote