Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jul 16, 2005, 2:49 PM   #1

I live near the ocean and like to take a lot of pictures by the beach. But lots of times there is a haze in the air. I want to make my pictures clearer and sharper. I have tried taking the pictures and than auto enhancing them once they are on my computer, but thean the colors are to dark and do not look natural. Is there something I can do to take clearer sharper pictures when there is a haze?

If I bought lenses, such as UV or polarizer lenses to attach to my camera would that help? If so which would work? Or if you have any other ideas it would be greatly appreciated.
ken212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2005, 2:59 PM   #2

Hello Ken - I would highly recommend you to purchase a good UV filter. I personally use aB+W UV filter F-PRO which is Multi Resistant Coated (MRC). Similarly I use a B+W Circular Polarizer filter which reduces the glare and produces very nice sky effects (in particular dramatic blue sky with clouds). I would say that for your purposes the purchase of both is a must.

Good luck with your purchase.

Cheers - Herman
hauer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 3:32 PM   #3

Herman-

Thanks a lot for the advice. I will check into both filters. With living so near the water I see that a lot of good pictures can be taken.

Ken
Old Jul 23, 2005, 3:54 PM   #4

Those filters will definitly help. Also a gradual grey filter would help keep from blowing the highlights in a sky and surf shot. Just a suggestion.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 4:00 PM   #5

Dawg-

Is the filter called a gradual gray filter or does it have a different name. Also I am not sure what you mean that "it wil help keep from blowing the highlights in a sky or surf shot"

If you could explain better I would really appreciate it. Thanks :-)

Ken
Old Jul 23, 2005, 4:14 PM   #6

You'll lose the contrast between cloud and sky if the light comming into the camera sensor is too bright. The gradual grey ( or gray ) filter will lower the brightness on part of the photograph without changing it on the rest. So if the sky is really bright but the lower part of the photo is not as bright the sky will be darkened somewhat allowing a more proper exposure of the lower portion. I use the Cokin filter system but Tiffen and others make them. I've found over time that there is a use for the gradual gray filter almost everytime I take an outdoor shot !!! Go here for some examples of the gradual gray filters.

http://www.geocities.com/cokinfilter...adual_gray.htm

Dawg
Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:49 PM   #7

Dawg-

Is this the site you bought your's from? I noticed in the pictures it seemed the used the same filter in at least the first two oictures, 120 G1 Grey Graduated ND2X Weakest . Is that the one you suggest. If I do oreder from them how will they know which size will fit my camera. I have a tube adaprter on my Olympus c 770 for other lenses and it is supposed to work with filters.. Thanks

Ken
Old Jul 25, 2005, 8:47 PM   #8

Bought mine from B&HPhotovideo.com Good people to deal with and very reliable. If they don't have what you need, then try Adorama.com. Just as reliable. Cokin even makes an adapter for small digital cameras that mounts to any tripod mount. Should fit just about any camera. If you decide on Hoya, B+H, Tiffen or another name brand they should have one to fit your adapter tube!! Hope you find the ones YOU like and Happy shooting!!

Dawg