Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jul 26, 2005, 11:04 PM   #1

Well, I thought I'd finally decided the TCON 17 was the best overall teleconverter for my FZ20. That was until I saw the review in this forum that indicated the TCON exhibited significant light fall off at the corners of the image. This has been the only review so far that has mentioned this. Can anyone that has actual experience with this combination verify that this occurs? Could it have been the combination of adapters used to attach the lens?

cclay6482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2005, 1:35 AM   #2

I'd say it's more of how much zoom is used more than the adapter
it seems to happen in other brands as well
10X + seems to be the pit fall

TechJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 3:02 AM   #3

Here ore some shots with the TCON only resized to fit the forum. There is a little bit of darkness around the outside when zooming back to a wider angle, but none when you zoom on out to near full zoom. I've always been able to crop a little and remove any objectionable darkness without losing the shot!!

Dawg
Attached Images

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 3:08 AM   #4

I used a Kodak 55mm adapter, a skylite 1-A filter and a Tiffen polorizing filter on these. I believe some of the darkness is from the weight of the TCON -17 pulling down on the slack of the Tiffen filter.

Dawg
Attached Images

Old Jul 27, 2005, 3:13 AM   #5

It's like JD said the further you pull back to wide angle the more vignetting ( Darkening around the edges ) You'll see. It is just the way things are no matter which lens you buy. Chromatic abberation is another problem some lens have but the TCON is not one of them. It is also called purple fringeing, and is most noticeable at the bright edges of the object being photographed, Here again the TCON handles this as well as almost any other lens and better than most.

Dawg
Attached Images

Old Jul 27, 2005, 3:20 AM   #6

These were shot when there was a really hazey sky and the sharpness I wanted just wasn't there. But it wasn't the lens it was just the weather. I really have enjoyed my TCON-17 and wouldn't know what to do with out it. Oh Yeah. The rocket is about 4 to 5 miles away!

Dawg
Attached Images

Old Jul 27, 2005, 3:30 AM   #7

This one is with the Wide angle lens attached and zoomed back to full wide angle. You see the Barrelizing on the right and left sides? That is one of the problems with the Wide angle lens. All add on lens have problems but you have to learn the limits of each one and work around them I certainly wouldn't do without either the wide angle or the TCON as they enable me to do more with camera than the normal lens that came on it!!!!

Dawg
Attached Images

Old Jul 27, 2005, 9:14 AM   #8

the TCON-17 does produce some softening at the corners, and a bit of vignetting at WA settings, but to me the biggest shortcoming is that it also is more prone to chromatic aberration (purple fringing) in high contrast shots than some other lenses. that's one reason i chose the TCON-14B instead. the 14B is a bit less powerful (1.45x vs 1.7), but the difference in image size isn't much, and from all the tests i've seen, the 14B produces sharper pictures with less CA. plus,the 14Bhas 62mm rear threads and will mount directly to your adapter, while the TCON-17 has 55mm threads and will need a step-down ring to make it fit.
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2005, 9:45 AM   #9

Which if that is so, will cause even more of the vignetting! Any time you step down you increase the vigneting!! Kinda like looking out of a tunnel. As far chromatic aberration, I've seen very little if any with mine. If you have a larger adapter size than the 55mm TCON, I would recomend going with the larger size lens, even if the tele is a smaller magnification as the vignetting would be the major problem with the 55mm.

Dawg
Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:53 AM   #10

Hi all anyone know of a Canadian online store that has the TCON-17 ? im running into all kinds of problems trying to buy from the US. Brokerage fees duty and special taxesetc... etc ...
Knight67 is offline   Reply With Quote