Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Aug 5, 2005, 4:49 PM   #1

My results were pretty ugly using this lens on this camera. The recommended Sony (VCL-DH1758) is only a 1.7X teleconverter. I opted for the cheaper of the two. And also thinking that the 3X is better than 1.7X.

Now, unless I'm doing something wrong??? Have a look at the attachment. All photos have a yellow halo and are not focused. Using a tripod didn't help either.

Any advice here??? Thanks.
Attached Images

JamesH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2005, 11:38 AM   #2

When using add on lenses, there is a menu setting that must be changed. I'm not sure what happens when this setting is not changed, but it is worth a look. The manual details this pretty well. The other thing to consider, is that you will need a very fast shutter speed even with is to minimize camera shake when hand holding. A 3x converter gives you a focal length of over 1300mm (effective when compared to 35mm, that is). I would suspect a speed of close to 1/1000 would be necessary without a tripod to prevent blur (i'm just guessing here).

I would always recommend using the genuine Sony add on lenses to ensure compatibility. The 1.7x tele will provide an effective focal length of nearly 750mm...that's alot of reach and should do the job in most cases with decent results. Teleconverters always degrade image quality a little.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 7:10 PM   #3

I switched the tele lens off, and tried taking a few more pictures. The results seemed to be just a tad more out-of-focus. Yellow halos were still bad. I didn't really notice any significant differences. The tele "soft switch" may work better with a Sony lens...I don't know.

Either this is just a cheap lens, or it is defective, OR (as you mentioned) I should be using a Sony compatible lens... My guess is that this is just an incompatible lens and I need to go out and buy the Sony VCL-DH1758 1.7X telephoto lens.

Hey thanks, I appreciate your feedback, "rjseeny!"
JamesH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 10:20 PM   #4
Zyk

I tried to use this lens with my Sony DSC-H1, but I had only unfocused photos. It seems that this lens does not work with Sony DSC-H1.

Best,

Zykka.
Zyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:14 PM   #5

Hi - have you tried the macro setting? I use an EagleEye OpticZoom lens (and sometimes an extra 2x teleconverter attached to the EagleEye) but always set my DSC-S85 to its macro setting.

Worth a try!

Cheers - Herman

hauer54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2005, 6:22 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
And also thinking that the 3X is better than 1.7X.
As a general rule, the more the magnification, the greater the degradation in quality when using a teleconverter (even with very high quality glass), if they are of similar optical design and quality.

In addition to image quality degradation, a teleconverter can lead to signficant vignetting (especially at the wider end of a zoom lens), as well as significant loss of light (for example, you usuallylose about 1 stop with a 1.4x Teleconverter (requiring shutter speeds twice as long for proper exposure given the same lighting, ISO speed and aperture setting), and 2 stops with a 2x Teleconverter (requiring shutter speeds 4 times as long for the same lighting and aperture).

So, even if you didn't have any degradation in image quality, the loss of light makes it harder for a camera to focus, and can decrease the shutter speeds you can expect to achieve (which can lead to even more motion blur at longer focal lengths from shutter speeds that are too slow).

You can also get more flare due to reflections internal to the lens design using a TC (depending on it's quality, and the coatings being used), and you can get more Chromatic Aberrations. Anytime you add another piece of glass (even a cheap UV filter), it can cause some problems.

There can be a huge difference in quality between lens accessories like a Teleconverter (even between those that have similar specifications).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2005, 5:16 PM   #7

I just got a Sony H1 with a Optika 2x lens and I am seeing the same thing. I can not focus out at 24x optical zoom. I've tried everything from manual focus to tripod and manual aperture and speed settings I'm must a bit disapointed with the add on lens.

hvanflee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 3:02 PM   #8

Hi all, Im using a Professional Digital 2x tele lens with a sony h1 and it works a treat. now maybe for a pro eye it may not be, but i cant see much bluring or distortion. Only cost me £25.

I have enclosed a pic i took without trypod at full length. Hope this is a good example.As i said my eye may not be the most professional when it comes to this. Let me know.

Cheers

Darren
Attached Images

quackbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 6:11 AM   #9

Thanks for the sample but are you being sarcastic about the comment "works a treat, cant see much bluring or distortion" ?

What I can judge with my laymen eye is a real bad image quality I bet the bare sony H1 without this 2x tele must take much better photos or sony is going to shutdown.

Rudolf.

quackbad wrote:
Quote:
Hi all, Im using a Professional Digital 2x tele lens with a sony h1 and it works a treat. now maybe for a pro eye it may not be, but i cant see much bluring or distortion. Only cost me £25.

I have enclosed a pic i took without trypod at full length. Hope this is a good example.As i said my eye may not be the most professional when it comes to this. Let me know.

Cheers

Darren
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:06 PM   #10

I agree...........I bet the Sony does MUCH better without that added lens.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote