Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Aug 11, 2005, 7:49 AM   #1

A couple of questions here for anyone who has used the Canon S2is or S1is.

I know you can get add on lenses, such as telephoto, wide angle and macro, which need the conversion lens adapter and lens hood to attach them.

Would these lenses only be good for use with the S2is, or would they still be usable if I upgraded to a Canon DSLR (perhaps EOS350D) in a year or two's time?

Secondly, would I be able to use polarising filters (for example for use with sunsets and bright skies) or ND grads, on the S2is using the same adapter kit. I'm off to Greece soon, and would like to take some golden sunset shots without having to adapt in Photoshop Elements later.

Thanks
Shaun Geraghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2005, 2:12 PM   #2

Hi Shaun, I have the S2 IS and I can answer your question.

The first thing you might try is going over to dpreview.com forums. They are much busier than this forum. Nothing against this forum, It just doesn't get the traffic.

Canon makes a lens adapter kit for the S2. Canon LAH-DC20 Lens Adapter and Hood Set.
It is plastic and black.

I ordered the 52mm Lensmate adapter for my S2 IS. It is Aluminum and silver. So it matches the camera and is better build quality than the Canon. You could potentially ruin the Canon adapter threads by cross threading. I use filters all the time and the Lensmate adapter

Here is a link to the Lensmate site as well. http://www.lensmateonline.com/S2.html They have an S2 section that shows some of the different lenses available that work with our cameras.

The lenses will not be able to work with any of the Canon Dslr's Like the 350d or the 20d.

On a side note I just received an Olympus c-180 lens for my canon S2. It is a H.Q. Conveter 1.7X. I think it gets me out to the 700mm range ! Even further if you use digital zoom. Anyway I got it of of e-Bay from Olympus auctions. You can read more about it at the dpreview.com forum. It was recommended to me from a couple of folks over there.

I am also expecting a Raynox 6600-pro wide angle lens in the mail today. I bought that from sobephoto on e-Bay. They have %100 positive feedback with over 7000 feebacks. Pretty good I would say.

Hope this helps,

Ryan E.

Vancouver, WA
USA

Ironside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2005, 5:48 AM   #3

Thats great. Many thanks for your help.
Shaun Geraghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2005, 11:23 PM   #4

I have not done a scientific study, but it seems that using a 52 mm lens converter on the S2, vs the 58 mm size Canon and other companies offer will result in some sort of negative tradeoff in the final image. Considering that 58 mm lens adapters are being offered by several firms, it seems that the people offering 52 mm accessory lenses for the S2 are trying to leverage their investment in building converters for the S1. I'd like to see an apples to apples comparison of 52 vs 58 mm converter lenses on the S2. Still, I have no doubt that there are high quality 52 mm converters available for the S2.

I disagree about the aluminum vs plastic comment though. Aluminum was a fine answer to an old problem in it's time, but it's time has long passed. The plastic used by Canon in it's adapter is far superior to aluminum by any standard of measurement. Aluminum weighs more, it has far less strength, it is subject to deformation and corrosion, and it can be cross threaded just as easily as plastic. Aluminum is old school, and is the cheaper and less suitable alternative to modern plastics in this application.

Voyager
Voyager13b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 8:24 PM   #5

Hey Guys,

Thanks for this terrific site. I just received the lensmate 52 mm adaptor for canon S2 IS.

I am however not able to figure out how to mount this adaptor on the camera. Would anyone help me out.

Thanks!
mohan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 2:31 AM   #6

Gidday

Small button on left bottom of lense housing when lens is facing you

Press button and twist left the bayonet cover on end of lens housing

Cheers Dom
roxydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 10:26 AM   #7

Thanks very much!
mohan p is offline   Reply With Quote